Featured Anyone familiar with Salem Streamline China?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jared92, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Hi everyone,
    New here. I collect Salem Streamline/tricorne China and would love to know if anyone is familiar or also collects it. The most common color variation is a bright red orange color, but there’s tons of others out there. 6297F80C-D472-4C8F-AF3A-C4814E574B95.jpeg 0AD43714-F527-4FD9-97CF-C4D5C874975D.jpeg Streamline refers to the cups, coffee pots, sugar pots, etc..and Tricorne are plates and bowls and such in the rounded triangular shape. I’ve been on the hunt for the orange teapot for quite some time now but it just has never popped up sadly. Anyone else into this stuff?

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I am now!

Welcome to Antiquers Jared.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Jared!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome! That's a fabulous looking set! Do you use it or just stare at it lovingly:) (which is probably what I would end up doing)

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Jared,
    You about 15 years too late. I used to sell a lot of this stuff. People often confused it with Harlequin. I sold the last teapot for 10 bucks. I am glad people are starting to collect this stuff again. It makes an old man happy to see that.
    greg

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Jared. Lovely set, very nicely displayed as well.

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not much interest in it that I know of. There are many cool patterns of china out there that barely get a second look. Probably would take a designer to feature them in a magazine to get interest from the sheeple.

JayBee, judy, dgbjwc and 5 others like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a lovely set !!!

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jared. I can get distracted (and delighted) by wordplay at the drop of Spode teacup! (Sheeple...can't wait to borrow that word!)

Just wanted to say that, although orange is my most unfavorite color, and that next to my sweet little Limoges china, the shape of yours is scary in the extreme...nevertheless, I LOVE that set!!

???!!! Who knew?

11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. It makes a lovely presentation

12. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Oh wow! That’s so amazing. I have thought many times that if only I could jump back in time it would be very easy to find what I’m looking for. But then again, I’m sure everyone on here has thought that! Where did you sell this china? I’ve always been curious how it was originally sold.

13. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Thank you so much! You know, I said the same thing before I fell in love with this stuff. I used to hate orange. In some ways I still do, you’ll never catch me wearing it. But it’s definitely given me an appreciation for a color I never thought I’d have in my home.

14. Jared92

Jared92 Member

I just stare at them lovingly. Haha. The glaze on these is a bit of a satin finish which is a little more prone to scratching. Not sure if they were originally that way or if it came with age. I’m almost a little embarrassed to say that this picture only shows a very small amount of my full collection. This little section is my favorite though. :) thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  15. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. Here’s some more color variations from my collection. The black is called “Harlem Moon” (although the plates and bowls from this set didn’t have tricorne counterparts) and I don’t know too much about the card suit pattern other than that it was made for Donahoes in Pittsburgh I believe.

0EC7D6B1-0906-40EE-AFC7-5E98361D5273.jpeg 679E94C8-04BD-4E9D-909A-0A42B5FE0F8F.jpeg 2F0F82EB-A463-46F9-81EB-C026F627240B.jpeg

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very very nice. I am not into orange much, but those are spectacular.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Might try looking for Fiesta Red instead of orange. There was no true red glazes back then. Everybody had the orange glazes then and they were called red.
    greg

PortableTreasures, judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Jared92

Jared92 Member

That’s good to know! I always found it a bit strange that these were orange considering they are Art Deco, and I didn’t really think orange came into style until the 60s. I like them because they, to me, look very mid century modern.

19. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Jared and welcome. I just love the orange set. It really pops and the shapes are so stylish.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I had to look up the name of the shape of the plates. I was fascinated when I learned about it as a kid because it will roll without interruption just like a circle & you can draw one using a compass alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle

The Wankel engine that made Mazdas hum uses it.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted