Anyone fluent in German?

Discussion in 'Art' started by MyrtleBeach55, Nov 2, 2019.

1. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

Hello..hoping someone might be able to help me identify the writing/signature on the back of these old antique oil paintings. They come from the estate of family members that I am helping liquidate. The couple served in WW2 and traveled Europe in the 40s through 60s. Just curious about the subject matter of the pieces and if anyone knows what the writing means on the back of the frames. Thanks for any help.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hello! That appears to be an address. Wilhelmshöher Strasse 14. There's a street by that name in Berlin but, of course, other cities might have one. Let's see if the one in Berlin is in West Germany (because if not, unlikely to be associated with your paintings)... Yep, West so possible. (In the Friedenau neighborhood to be precise.) Here's number 14 (according to the internet.) The name before the address appears to be Nicolay Seckbach. They're likely souvenir paintings from Bavaria. And vintage, rather than antique, as not 100 years old.

Debora

529px-Wilhelmshöher_Straße_14_(Friedenau).jpg

Not a happy address, by way. Here's a "Stumbling Stone" memorializing a woman who was sent to a Nazi prison camp from that address during World War II.

598px-Stolperstein_Wilhelmshöher_Str_14_(Fried)_Minny_Käthe_Kaufmann.jpg

Debora

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

Wow, Thank You for the research. I am selling a lot of items and just wanted to figure out what these might be. I have nother oil paitning I will post that I can't figure out the signature. Thanks again for your help.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi... As I thought, there's another city in Germany with same address. Frankfurt am Main. And it's in a district called Seckbach. A much more modest location. It's very unlikely you'll be able to learn more about the painter of these works, especially as Nicolay (or Nicolai) can be a first or last name.

Debora

komokwa and BaseballGames like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The artist's signature may be hidden by the frames and looks like you could easily remove the paintings to check. But do keep in mind that a lot of these German landscape paintings were produced in the post-World War II years to cater to U.S. military personnel.

Debora

6. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

Thank You. When you mentioned the Nazi comment it made me wonder if there could be any connection to this item. The family member was an officer in the Army in WW2 and one of the items I found and did research on was a Nazi officer's gun he somehow had. I am guessing it was a spoil of war he got when he was in Germany during that time.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

top one looks like Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau.
    I don't see the quality to justify a deeper research.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. The other one also has more of a Swiss vibe than Bavarian. Swiss souvenirs, imo.
    Please don't worry about the address, the paintings look post-war to me. The Frankfurt am Main address seems more likely, since it is in Seckbach.
    The surname Nicolai is used in parts of Central and Northwestern Europe, so pretty generic.

9. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

Thanks

10. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

Thanks

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted