ANYONE HEARD OF ARTIST HAMISH KILGOUR?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 9, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I won these 3 paintings on Maxbid - a online estate sale auction. I bid on it & a antique 4' tall buddha statue because I knew the area the condo & contents were being sold was in (on the tip of S. Beach/Miami Beach where a 1 room studio sells for $300,000 or more!).
    I gave up on the statue when it went over $400 but ended up winning these 3 paintings that were described as by a famous Danish artist.
    When I picked them up & finally googled Hamish Kilmour all I found was a Finland musician?!
    I did find the link that mentions Hamish & pop art (link below) but am wondering if anyone has heard of the artist (painter not musician!)?

To me the art looks like something a child would bring home to be put on the fridge(!) but they didn't cost much ($21 including commission) but the home they came out of made me decide to gamble on them -did I find a winner?

http://www.ravensingstheblues.com/hamish-kilgour/

Thank you for any info!

ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 2BAAA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 6A+A.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 6BA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 7AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAMISH GILMOUR 7BA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he's overpriced !!!

BoudiccaJones, Houseful, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I...I...Im at a loss for words.

4. komokwa

that good , huh ?? ........................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

lol can you find anything on the artist?
    I've seen some master artists with similar … um... art

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The only google results I'm finding for Hamish Kilgour are for a New Zealand musician.

Frankly these look like a 3rd grader copying a Danish artist? Or just a 3rd grader ...yeah that's probably right.

Houseful, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Kilgore Trout, yes, Hamish though, not so much.

judy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe there's a masterpiece...........underneath..................................!:jawdrop::smuggrin:

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

ERRRrrr .. UMmmm .. :jawdrop: ... Joy.

Houseful and judy like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Even rich people have grandkids that make pictures for them to 'keep forever'...

BoudiccaJones, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. komokwa

I believe......not strongly.....that these are what's called ' Art Therapy ' , painted by the elderly in the throws of some mental disability .

An estate sale you say...
    "but the home they came out of made me decide to gamble on them"

That is not any way to purchase art...of any nature !

It ranks ( no pun intended..) right up there with..

They traveled the world collecting items from across the globe....
    My Grandfather remembers it being in his Mothers house...
    The home was full of expensive antiques....
    It's been passed down in our family for generations....
    The buildings were piled high with banana boxes..... ( oh, wait....that's Brad..:playful:)
    Etc.....etc......etc,,,,,,,,,,

I would not give you a dollar....for all of them !!

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

mirana, aaroncab and judy like this.
  14. komokwa

that does not look like his signature above.....

upload_2020-2-10_3-12-8.jpeg

and this work from 1990.....makes the above paintings look like they were done after he had a stroke !!!!!!!!!!!!!

upload_2020-2-10_3-14-28.jpeg

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, both signed 'HRK', and things change over a couple of decades - personally, guessing it's the same guy (there's quite a bit about the New Zealand musician online, he's on Facebook, could contact him...)

~Cheryl

mirana, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  16. komokwa

the HRK has a drawing around the R.....and looks like a siggy......the others.....not so much....
    if they were all painted by the same guy then i stand by my assertion that by 2012.........he had a stroke !

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh dear...
    Agree. Although quite a few Scottish aristocrats fled to Continental Europe after 1745, most of their surnames have been adapted to the local languages. I don't know of any of their descendants here in The Netherlands that still use Gaelic inspired first names like Hamish (James). If any of them ended up in Denmark or Finland, I think it would be the same there.

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and judy like this.
  18. mindtpi

mindtpi New Member

This is a bit out of date but, yes, that's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Kilgour

He was/is the drummer in a very well known NZ band called The Clean. I doubt he's had a stroke, but when I saw him earlier this year at a gig in Christchurch he was off his face drunk and was making a real pest of himself - he's clearly had a hard past few years. Your paintings are pretty horrible but he has done a few album covers prior to that that are actually pretty good. I'm guessing he was "tired and emotional" when he did yours. Someone who's into The Clean might want them - they have a surprisingly large following around the world

mirana, Paul Kean, judy and 4 others like this.
  19. Marknakano

Marknakano New Member

I’d be interested in buying the smaller painting, if it’s ever for sale.

judy likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think identification correct. And those are likely New Zealand scenes.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted