Anyone heard of the male name Hazel

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by daveydempsey, Jan 19, 2018.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I always thought the name Hazel was a female first name .

I`ve just listed a silverplate teapot and was curious as its engraved.
    "Presented to Ida.G.Simpson, on her 21st birthday, September 8th 1915.
    by her Uncle Hazel".

tp.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There are a lot of people with the last name of Hazel around here. That might be the answer. (They are a wealthy bunch).

Could also be a nickname. But I've only heard of women with a first name of Hazel too.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Only heard of Hazel for female, however I had a male teacher whose name was Vivian. Carol was always a male name until WWl. Wondered about Beverly since I had an old neighbor with that name. He was in his 90s back in the 1950s.
    greg

4. daveydempsey

There are lots with the surname Hazel in these parts and I know a few female first name Hazel`s but I`ve never known a man with that as a first name.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Re the given name Hazel, according to wikipedia.org:

"It also was occasionally used for boys in the United States between 1900 and 1940."

Debora

6. daveydempsey

Interesting Debora,
    I spoke to my Dad who was born in 1921 and he said he`s never heard of anyone male over here called Hazel, he said they would have been beaten up if word had got out,.
    1915 was wartime and he said there were no gender fluids hanging around :D
    Perhaps Hazel was her American uncle maybe.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought it was something like a Boy named Sue.:confused:

Bronwen, Sandra, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is a biblical reference with the name Hazael, maybe misspelled on the engraving.

pearlsnblume and daveydempsey like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A quick record search on the Church of Later-Day Saint's genealogical web site (www.familysearch.com) will bring up many men born between the years 1900 and 1940 with the given name of Hazel. And some with the surname Simpson.

Debora

10. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Hazel, Watership Down buck rabbit.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe even a knickname ...?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd guess either a surname or nickname. Then again Marion was a boy's name back then, it was John Wayne's real one, so who knows. I can see a small child mispronouncing Hosea as Hazel and having it stick.

Sandra, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The only Hazel I ever knew of was the lady on the old tv show, many moons ago, who was the housekeeper for Mr. Baxter's family.

I think it just may be a last name as others mentioned.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Growing up...my best friends father....only called me by my last name.....never ever my 1st name.......it was demeaning...!

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The U. S. Social Security Administration has a calculator for popularity of any baby name in the U.S. going back to the year 1900. And you can pick the gender related to the name, too. The calculator is near the bottom right of this page: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ .

If you try searching for Hazel as a male name, a chart comes up showing years in which Hazel was among the top 1000 male names for babies. The dates only show from 1900 to 1940, because after that Hazel dropped out of the top 1000. The chart shows the rank for the name each year. A note at the bottom of the chart says, "The year when the name Hazel was most popular is 1904. In that year, the number of births is 24, which represents 0.017 percent of total male births in 1904."

Anyway, I think that is where Wikipedia got their information related to the dates 1900-1940, although they slightly misinterpreted what was happening.

Also, try searching it for your own first names! At birth my first name was spelled slightly differently than it is now. (I changed the spelling some time ago.) Neither spelling is common but the original spelling was very uncommon!

16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I knew a chap named Carol, and back in 1968 a middle aged guy called Beverly .. everyone just called him 'Bev' .. Joy.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beverly was a family name repurposed as a boy's first or middle name; they still do that in parts of the US, to keep a mother's maiden name in circulation. Eventually some of those became popular as first names and some of those switched genders. I've known several woman named Shelby, for instance.

18. Christmasjoy

My real first names are Christina Joy but back then my Mother was insistant on naming me Christmas Joy !! My father wouldn't allow it so the other name was given. Ever after I was teased by my siblings for my mothers bright idea, I was nicknamed Joy from that point on .. can you imagine going through life as "Christmas" .. anyway my name here honors my mother, but what the heck was she thinking !!!!
    Love you Mum .. CJ.

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Christmas Joy, I think it is a lovely name. :)

20. Christmasjoy

Thank You Pearls, I wouldn't have minded it so much as an adult but as a child it would have left me wide open for teasing and bullying, and I wasn't a big girl but small in size .. I wouldn't have stood a chance ..... Joy.

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and judy like this.