Anyone heard of this Place? re: Bus card

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by dave1950, Mar 28, 2019.

1. dave1950

dave1950 Member

I've been going through some documents from an estate sale which range from 1918 to 1944 and one of them is a business card of a club in LA which I cannot find any info on. My Google search shows a Mobile Gas Station at the address. The name of the place is The New Broadway Club at 4374 S Broadway Los Angeles Cal PH AD 9283. The business card is a fold-out style(see pics). Does anyone know of this place and what would be the rough date of this card? Also has the name: Frankie Sab and Money bags...thx dave
    bc1.jpg 2.jpg

Joe2007 likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The graphics point to 1940s-50s

Debora, Bakersgma, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Reads like a Mob hangout!

4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

If the "AD 9283" is a phone number, it would narrow down the time frame to check out when all numeric phone numbers came in to use in Los Angeles.

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, Sandra and i need help like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I watched a PBS show the other day where a man was looking for some information about his father's connection to a club in California. It was mentioned that at one time LA was a real hot spot for clubs that provided movie stars & the like with entertainment such as gambling & liquor (even during Prohibition).

When they started cracking down on such places they headed east to the dessert in Nevada. I can't remember the man's name but they said this was pre-Flamingo / Bugsie Seigel.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Some G.I. had a night out at a real classy place.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Compliments of', like a free entry pass of the sort they hand out on the street for comedy clubs to bring in a crowd. 'Papering the house'.

Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  9. dave1950

dave1950 Member

Correction on the location I said earlier, it looks like there is a Taco Gavilan outlet there now...also based on the other documents found with this card the fellow was in the military born in Wisconsin but ended up in Canada. So @Debora may have hit on something. Check out this 1918 document which is a "certificate of protection" from the military service act? I'm thinking this was a gun license of some sort?? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this piece...thx dave
    4.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There are a couple references to "The New Broadway Club" as being a wrestling venue.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=10;t=004599;go=older

From the link above:

"Louisville KY: January 29, 1947
    Heywood Allen Sr., 66, announces his retirement after a long career of promoting professional wrestling and boxing matches ... His Allen Athletic Club has controlled the mat game here since 1935 … Allen says his physician advised him to give up the business … Francis McDonogh, publicist and one-third owner of the operation, will take over the helm … Allen got into sports promotion after stints with the Ringling Brothers circus and the old Empire burlesque circuit … While putting on wrestling at various theaters, he also produced boxing shows at the old Broadway Bowl, Jefferson A.C., the New Broadway Club and at the Kentucky Athletic Club … Since 1935, however, he has devoted all his energies to wrestling."

Also referenced in this 1899 Los Angeles Herald article:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=LAH18990603.2.47&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1

12. dave1950

dave1950 Member

wow...thx Lucille so the New Broadway Club was a wrestling/boxing venue/club probably from the 30's(or earlier) to the late 40's which I believe were frequented by organized crime figures etc etc

Lucille.b, Sandra and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Frankie Sab" certainly sounds like a wise guy nom de plume.

Debora

Figtree3 and Sandra like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted