Anyone know about Horse Brasses? How to sell them?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ola402, Aug 25, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I picked up some horse brasses recently but I don't know a thing about them. I was just curious. I have a total of 9 which are strapped onto some broken leather straps (I guess part of the horse gear). There are 4 on one strip and 5 on the other. I googled of course and read about them and how they came to be, etc. But I really don't know how to sell them. Should I sell them together, by the strip? or remove them all and sell them separately?

On the back they are not marked and are completely unfinished. They don't look like they came from Queen Victoria, just from an average horse somewhere. They're all about 3" wide. Should I polish them? Any advice would be appreciated as well as any relevant info, thanks so much!

DSCF6740.jpg

DSCF6741.jpg

DSCF6742.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those look like 60s decor ones, not the kind that went on a beast. Not very saleable any more, although the Masonic one might be.

CheersDears and Fid like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Your leather's broken, but not on these (I can't speak to their ages):

2nd vintage brasses decos.jpg Horse decos.jpg

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear Yes, I think you are right about 70s decor. They look like some of that type of seen in other brass decor of the time. I'm wondering if you purchased the leather thingie and then collected the brasses you wanted. It looks like I can get them off rather easily and that broken piece was likely the hook part of way it was hung.

Acqu (and may I just say now that I love your avatar), I think those sold straps might have better brasses. I think now that I will just sell them by the strap of 4 and 5. No more curiosity, that's over now.

laura, want some for your horsie? I browsed several web sites and I think the best ones were from England or Europe and much earlier than these.

Thanks to all for your help!

Aquitaine and laura9797 like this.
  6. laura9797

harleyresized.jpg My big girl use to pull sleds and wagons.....now she just gets treats and an occasional ride down to the swimming hole to swim!

7. Aquitaine

Sounds like she's HAPPY in her retirement!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::happy::happy::happy:

Tanya and laura9797 like this.
  8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

What a beautiful, muscular sweet face.

9. Msalicia

I have a bunch, inherited. I researched. Some are worth more. I’m only talking old ones. If I were selling and an old, more valuable one was on leather with others worth less I would leave on original leather and sell per value of the one.

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Many of these have never been near a hoss ever.
    Used to see them in the 60's and 70's nailed to faux oak ceiling beams in olde worlde pubs or above the stone fireplaces in peoples houses.

I get many in house clearances, they go in the scrap brass bin.

11. laura9797

So here is her story - it is a true story! I watched her being sold on craigslist for over 5 months. Her name was Strawberry Dacquiri. In the ad, they had her photo and she was pulling a Christmas sled wearing a Santa hat. She was beautiful. I finally stopped seeing ads for her. Figured she was sold. Long story short, we went to this place in North Georgia to look at another horse. I saw her tied up to the fence and knew instantly that was the horse I had seen on craigslist. She looked horrible. Her mane and tail were roached, her feet were a mess and she was a bag of bones. My husbands first comment when we pulled in was "thank God we aren't looking at that horse". I immediately told him that she was the horse I had been seeing on craigslist. My husband couldn't believe she was the same horse. Needless to say, we paid more then we should but I was compelled to rescue her. As we were driving out, one of the stable hands stopped us and said "I forget to tell you her name, it is Strawberry Daiquiri". My husband looked at me and I told "I told you so". Any way, on the way home, my husband decided to change her name because she was going to be his horse. He called her "Harley" with the understanding that he would tell all of his buddies he was going to ride his Harley - he couldn't have done that with a name 'Strawberry Daiquiri'.

CheersDears, Aquitaine, Tanya and 2 others like this.
  12. Msalicia

Real men can drink daiquiris? A Strawberry Harley. A perfect name for a new drink! Inspired by “ The couple that saved a beauty”. Bottoms up to you.

CheersDears, Aquitaine and laura9797 like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A beautiful story with a happy ending!

CheersDears, Tanya and laura9797 like this.
  14. Aquitaine

HAHAHA!!!!! THAT'S too cool a story!!!! Thanks for telling us!!!! LOVED it!!:):)

CheersDears and laura9797 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted