Featured ANYONE KNOW ABOUT OLD DRUMS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a estate sale today that was selling a large collection of antique & vintage knives (this was hanging on a wall - which is what I did with it!).
    Can anyone tell it's age by the hardware or it's looks? Is it possible to tell who made it?
    Thanks, I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY DRUM VINTAGE 1A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY DRUM VINTAGE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY DRUM VINTAGE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY DRUM VINTAGE 2AA.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

snare drum.....marching band....
    is that hole threaded....

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If no more than 3” diameter was made by Mattel.

4. komokwa

" You can tell it's Mattel...it's Swell ! "

But...I think not !!

Still....Journey....Please include measurements.....C'mon...you ask for help, on enough occasions ...so help us to help you !!!! :):):):)

( & you'll stop pissing off Spring !! ) :playful::playful::playful::playful:

5. journeymagazine

oops - It measures 10" x 4.5" edge to edge & 9" x 4.5" measuring inside body (the skin/head)
    Sorry!

6. journeymagazine

Hole not threaded

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. komokwa

Well looks like they all have holes !
    rod tension marching snare drum.....is , I think what you have.....
    after a look around....It's nice...but I couldn't match the hardware to any US Mfg.
    Prices range from $50 to $200.....but at the higher end there are stamps and labels...and the hardware gets much finer and fancier...
    I noticed a couple of drum Forums.....you may have better luck with them....

Maybe member @all_fakes , has a better idea !!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Thanks komokwa; knowing it's a snare helps a lot in trying to find age at least.
    I guess I got excited when I saw this because I just found a pair of 70s Ludwig Butcher Block Toms at thrift store a few days ago for $29.95 - and sold the floor tom 1st day on craigslist for $200!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

That's great !!!
    But it must have had some Ludwig ID on it ......and the floor tom , well there's less of them than the snares...
    Still....you have a nice drum !!

10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Won't appeal to a drummer looking for an instrument to play or for collectability. Called a "wall hanger", which is how you found it!

I would guess it is from the 30's plus or minus - but this generic hardware was used for a while since it was cheap and worked. I don't recognize the hardware and I would recognize most of the big companies. Looks like a low-end generic drum from any of a number of manufacturers, and its small size (snare drums are normally 14" and were even back 100 years ago) means it is more of a toy. It would have been an entry level or more likely kid's instrument. Look through the vent hole - there is often a label on the far side away from the hole and you can see it through the hole. If you don't find anything last ditch is to pull off the head (easy to put back on), since there is occasionally a label that can't be seen through the vent hole.

Ludwig butcher block pattern had a short life and only made in the 70's and has gotten more interest because it is SO 70's looking. It is still towards the low end of collector interest, however. Ludwig made more drums than any other US maker so there is always demand for a Ludwig drum in decent condition. Floor toms are always the drums that sell fastest and for the most money since they are the piece that gets lost or left behind the most - plus some drummers like to use more than one floor tom (e.g. Buddy Rich back in the day).

all_fakes, komokwa and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted