Featured Anyone know any details about this JT&L vase?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SandyD, Nov 15, 2017.

1. SandyD

SandyD Member

Delph Vase 1.jpg Delph Vase 3.jpg Delph Vase 4.jpg Hi Im new so please bear with me.

I have a vase which my Uncle is looking to sell. Before he does that I'd like to try and find out a bit more about it.

From the markings - I know the JT&L stands for Joost Thooft & Labouchere but nothing else. I dont know if it's old or new!

Does anyone know any more about this vase from the photos and markings attached please. And possibly a rough idea of value before my Uncle tries to sell it at auction or ebay etc.

Thanks everyone

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Great pics! :)

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Five listings came up when I searched eBay JT & L Delft. Searching 'solds' yielded 2 sales, only 1 showed sale price, which was for a pair and not nearly as extensively decorated as yours.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thanks. Ive sent an email to Peacocks Auctioneers at Bedford, as I didnt know if I was breaking any rules on here asking for an idea of value !!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

It is a nice Delft Vase . Made by De Porceleyne Fles, one of the most sought after makers. Good quality. If you search under the above maker. you will probably be able to get a good idea of value.
    It is also known as Royal Delft. The other blue markings may be date codes, although I don't have my book handy to look them up,

7. Bdigger

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thanks - Ive been looking at the links from people, but I cant find anything of this shape. I'll keep searching.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Bdigger

The shape has little to do with the value, unless it is extremely rare. What counts with these is Maker, quality , age, condition and decoration (those decorated with people and animals are more prized). I'm not sure how tall your vase is......but it appears to have the rest going for it in spades.

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

From the book by Van Hook, Discovering Dutch Delftware, he says that the impressed JT&L mark was used from around 1886 until discontinued sometime before 1916.

They started using a letter date code starting in 1879 with the letter A, B in 1880 and so on until they hit Z then they started over with AA in 1905 etc. Normally they are in blue.

I think the initials on yours would be the artist's initials. While there is a list of some artists in the book, this one isn't there.

I'm not sure what the impressed XH/R is but I am wondering if the impressed H represents the year 1886 as that would fit with the impressed JT&L.

12. say_it_slowly

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The shape is a classic Dutch 'kaststel' vase shape, inspired by Chinese vases. A 'kaststel' is a set of three or more urns and vases to be displayed on top of a typical Dutch cabinet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bakersgma, judy, SandyD and 1 other person like this.
  14. SandyD

SandyD Member

This is what i received from bedford auctions. Its a disappointing tespinse from them. Plus Im now very confused. It's not easy for a layman/laywoman! Oh my.

"This vase looks to be mid-century around 1950’s. It is a typical example of Delph ware and if sold at auction would be entered into a weekly general sale (not our antiques sale) maybe only achieving a few pounds.

Sorry we couldn’t be more positive on this occasion but I hope this helps."

judy likes this.
  15. say_it_slowly

I'd not put too much stock in their description. They don't even spell Delft correctly.

I started trying to understand modern Delft when I was putting an effort into collecting very old Delft and delftware awhile back. The factory that made your piece, de Porceleyne Fles (Royal Delft), has very expensive pieces made in the modern way since the later 19th Century.

I used to track the prices of many Fles pieces on the secondary market and awhile back (probably 10-15 years) I found that the basic pieces seemed to bring about 1/3-1/2 of the price of a new piece. It's been quite a few years since I tracked prices but a quick look at sold prices on Ebay they seems they have dropped significantly.

16. SandyD

SandyD Member

Thank you. :)

judy likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I would pay attention to the site/link that @say_it_slowly gave you.....most informative, and your Uncle's vase looks Amazing!!!!! Don't be in a rush to sell before you get ALL the information you can!!!! From MANY venues!!!!!! BEST of luck with it!!!!!:):):):)

yourturntoloveit and SandyD like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, it is beautiful. I hope you find out more about it! Perhaps asking a different auction house would be a good idea.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Don't rely on auction houses to give you accurate info, they may be right but they are quite often wrong. I have had some great buys of items stuck into general sales with inaccurate or incomplete catalogue entries.

It really pays to do the initial research to confirm date, maker etc. Value then becomes easier.

gregsglass, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sounds good!

Draft saved Draft deleted