Anyone know anything about fencing swords?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Brywil1970, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Anyone have an idea of the age or maker of these rapiers? The pair have the made in France. The red handled one has the marked padding and the other with the bigger guard has the faint mark which maybe looks like an HS in an oval.
    TIA, Bryan

762A21BC-E328-49DA-A047-6FD5D336B051.jpeg

40EA2D6F-801C-45BB-A4D3-CC78F6D3038F.jpeg

B16695B7-B129-4558-A6A5-1B7E10ED6188.jpeg

ED3A6FE3-5828-4B3A-992C-9014D87C1A4A.jpeg

B9B0B509-98B8-4EDB-8C9D-148AF2457449.jpeg

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

How big are they?
    They look like three épées (or foils if they are small and the blade has a squarish cross-section), French grip, and one sabre.
    I can't tell the cross-sections from the photos, but sabre is rectangular, épée is triangular, foil is square/rectangular.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    judy and i need help like this.
  3. Brywil1970

The one with the curved hand guard is triangular and then becomes flat, the pair and the red handled ones are rectangular and becomes smaller to the point.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Brywil1970

They are all blunted on the end

judy likes this.
  5. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

The top one and the two at the bottom are foil's or fleuret (French). Post WWII. The red one even seventies...
    The other one is a sabre, that one is older; my guess 1930's...

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is because they are meant for the fencing sport, not for combat. They should have little plastic or rubber tip as well, for safety. These are modern fancy coloured ones, they didn't have those in my fencing days;):
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes, i need help and judy like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I fenced collegiately. These are all fencing weapons strictly for sport. 1st, 3rd and 4th are all foils (bell guards are all the same and too small for Epee and the pommel isn't weighted enough). 2nd is sabre. Castello is a well known maker of modern fencing equipment (NYC based I think, possibly now defunct, not sure). Most blades traditionally were made in France and now in China and Russia, and the blades are very out dated b/c now the sport is electrified (wired for contact). French grips lost popularity totally by the late 70's. So my guess is maybe 70's vintage weapons as early as 60's, based solely on the fact the inside bell pad (red) is plastic, and felt was used into the 70s. Wouldn't use them at all for the modern sport (outdated, and possibly brittle and dangerous). The sabre can still cause some real damage without breaking since they are very whippy and, like mother warned, you can put an eye out. Decorative now.

Draft saved Draft deleted