ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LAWRENCE BACKER - ARTIST/PAINTER?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 22, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this BIG (50+") beautiful painting at the thrift store today. It didn't have a price on it yet so I asked the owner's son (one of the managers) what he would sell it to me for? He looked at it & said"$50" - I bought it (I figured the frame was worth that much!).
    I think he thought it was a print on canvas (the colors are incredible - I had to feel it!
    Once I got home & started checking, I found a few paintings by Lawrence Backer, but I can't find any history/bio. Can anyone tell me about him or find any info?
    Thank you!

ART PAINTING LAWRENCE BACKER 1AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING LAWRENCE BACKER 1AAA.jpg ART PAINTING LAWRENCE BACKER 1BAAA.jpg ART PAINTING LAWRENCE BACKER 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING LAWRENCE BACKER 4AA.jpg

pearlsnblume and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Found this on Invaluable site. Sold by Auction Kings in 2018. Same?
    ~
    6774E86D-A909-4E2E-BC4E-8EDA204CBE2E.jpeg

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There is also one of this exact image on Pinterest that says it was from an Ebay listing (now expired). The photo looks identical to the one Houseful found, so maybe the Ebay and Auction Kings are talking about the same piece. Or is it possible this is a giclee? It is a very dramatic looking piece either way.

Here is an auction that does tell a bit by the artist. There is a typed print out on the back of this piece about the artist, scroll down for photos.

https://caseantiques.com/item/lot-149-2-lawrence-backer-o-c-still-life-paintings/

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Invaluable.com, which never opens right for me on this computer, lists his dates as 1930-2004; aspire.com lists a number of his paintings.

5. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

If you look at edge of canvas in last photo you can see where he finished canvas - paint is not a straight line like a print on canvas - it's a painting right?

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't trust this one.

And while it's a tough call because the image of the "other one" is so small and adjusting it to make comparisons includes distorting it, I don't think they're the same painting.

So... two very similar paintings. Possible both are original to a legit artist (artists do get commissioned to make copies of earlier paintings). But I never ever like it when the only info I can find on an artist is on auction sites.

temp01.jpg

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted