Featured ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PHISH(?) POSTER w/MARCHING NOSTRILS?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 23, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today thrift store hunting. When I googles (and looked on eBay) I about fell over; Phish posters are selling for $100's to $1,000's!!

Who or what is Phish? (I thought they were a band?)
    Why are the posters so expensive?
    Can anyone find an example like mine?

Thank you for any help, it is appreciated.

ART POSTER PHISH 1AA.JPG ART POSTER PHISH 2AAzz.JPG ART POSTER PHISH 2AAAzz.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Phish is a pretty well known band, started in the 80s, still touring. They have a huge following. Maybe someone will correct me, but I think their music is somewhat along the lines of the Grateful Dead. Maybe a bit more varied. I remember when they first came out it seemed so "cutting edge" to spell "fish" with a "ph", lol.

Ebay shows over 2K matches when you search "Phish poster". Prices under sold seem to range from $10 with free shipping up to over $2K for certain signed/numbered posters. (In those two extremes did not see this exact one --but only had a few minutes to look, so you'll need to do some additional research.)

4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

wow - you all are good!
    Thank you!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Maybe you had to live in New England to be aware of Phish?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

They tour all over the country. They have a cult-like following and even have their own SiriusXM channel on satellite radio.

8. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

I was a second gen Deadhead. (My mom was first gen!) I've followed both the Grateful Dead and Phish when they played the Pacific Northwest. In fact, I saw my first Phish show the same year Jerry Garcia died.
    Great poster!!

9. busryde

busryde Active Member

judy, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

I wonder who printed the posters that were slipped into the reissue?

"1. Junta – Album Cover and Print
    Even if you are less familiar with Pollock’s prints, you’ve surely seen the cover of Phish’s first studio album, Junta. For Record Store Day 2012, Pollock designed a special poster for Junta’s vinyl reissue. Though 2,500 of these prints were slipped into the record packaging, they sold out incredibly fast."

anundverkaufen and aaroncab like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The one in the link says Gothic Posters.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

I saw that. For some reason the person in that link, thought Gothic Posters was suspicious and a possible bootleg copy. If OP can find out who printed the original posters that were slipped into the album, that would resolve if Gothic is a bootleg copy.

The OP didn't say if his was signed or dated or, if it has any "printed by" information.

i need help likes this.
  13. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I was going to say your best bet is to take it out the frame and look at the bottom where the bottom of frame is and see if there is any writing or date when the poster was made.

14. busryde

busryde Active Member

phish_poster.jpg

Below is the insert for the record day 2012 promo (not on my wall), but a completely different image. Note the size is 11.5x11.5 which is more inline with a record insert, not what the OP has.

https://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/149812

I'm still going with a record store promo poster, whether it was a bootleg or published to promote the album, it's pretty cool. But I have enough phish posters on my wall. ;-)

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there's always the ceiling....:playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted