Featured ANYONE KNOW HORSE RACING ARTIST C. LAWRIE?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 14, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    If I asked about this before I apologize! I came across it while putting some paintings together to take & store in our storeroom so we have more room in our big house (we live in the inlaws house because I've been using the big house for storage ever since the 1950's cast iron plumbing broke & it's been 11 months waiting on the insurance to pay the claim) - the house is so full that half the stuff is hidden when people come to my garage/estate sale!

It looks like C. Lawrie to me & it also looks like he would be a known artist, right?
    Any info/thoughts would be appreciated!
    PS - Underneath it I put my latest find - it's a limited edition commemorative to triple crown winner Seattle Slew; with a winning ticket from each race (Kentucky Derby, Belmont & Preakness - although last one looks faded) + autographs from the 2 owners of Seattle Slew, the trainer & the jockey!It's very cool!

ART PAINTING HORSE RACING PAINTING 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE RACING PAINTING 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE RACING PAINTING 3AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE TRIPLE CROWN DISPLAY & AUTOGRAPHS 1_AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE TRIPLE CROWN DISPLAY & AUTOGRAPHS 2A.jpg COLLECTIBLE TRIPLE CROWN DISPLAY & AUTOGRAPHS 3AA.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The reproduction of the Seattle Slew memorabilia is very cool.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice. I actually met the daughter of the trainer of Seattle Slew a few summers ago. She had a house out here and was having a yard sale. I bought a Seattle Slew drinking glass from her that was her father's.
    Nice to have those pari-mutual tickets too along with the photograph.
    Can't help with the artist though.:p

4. journeymagazine

There are 2 others on eBay - neither has the last signature like mine - faded & obviously from a pen & not a printer?

5. journeymagazine

Also last ticket is faded on mine - would it do that if they weren't actual tickets but prints?

6. pearlsnblume

Why do you think they aren't actual tickets? I am not an expert, but they look like real tickets to me. I would think they would be hard to duplicate because the tracks don't want fake tickets that could be cashed... bwdik.

They do fade some over time depending on where they are kept. I still have a few tickets from our days of owning race horses as keepsakes here.
    And that is going back 30 years or so.

7. KikoBlueEyes

You think they collected 1,500 winning tickets and put them in a frame with the photo and signature or do you think the 77/500 is meaningless? I thought it is a nicely composed piece with materials that were reproduced and framed together.

8. pearlsnblume

You got me there. Anything is possible. I didn't even think about that 77/500 number at all.

It is a nice piece for a racing fan. And there are plenty of fans out there especially at this time of year. Now when you find one with Secretariat, that will take the cake.

9. KikoBlueEyes

10. KikoBlueEyes

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

From a 1977 newspaper. Not a complete description of this Seattle Slew piece, but the last paragraph is certainly enough to make you go "hmmm..."

(My guess on the painting is "factory art")

temp01.jpg

13. pearlsnblume

Interesting to learn more about the Slew Crew.

i need help likes this.
  14. Jivvy

Apparently, the buying of tickets to create products was a "thing" (the following is also from 1977).

temp02.jpg

15. pearlsnblume

I don't think that is so unusual. He may have been one of the first to ebay.LOL even tho ebay was not around yet.

Many people buy a huge amount of extra tickets on a popular horse in the triple crown races so they can resell them for a profit. It still is a thing as far as I know.
    :p

16. Jivvy

You are not wrong. There was a slew ( :bag: ) of articles from 2002 (death) talking about exactly how much three tickets were NOT worth. :hilarious:

Yes, I am once again down a rabbit hole. It's just my nature.

But this is the last one, I swear. It's my favorite. This thing cost $145 in 1977... equivalent of $600+ today.

And you had to wait four weeks for it to arrive. :jawdrop::p

temp03.jpg

17. pearlsnblume

I bet a collector would like one of those. I never saw that before. Cool sleuthing -- slew-thing:D on your part Jivvy.

i need help, KikoBlueEyes and Jivvy like this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Regarding painting #1 - I'd say sofa art. They always have signatures that look like 'somebody'.

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

20. Jivvy

Draft saved Draft deleted