Featured Anyone know this Carlsbad mark? Guessing it’s not “the” Carlsbad?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Feb 4, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Got this dragon handled ewer with a Carlsbad mark. The mark almost looks like fangs. Has anyone seen it? I can find one exactly the same online but it’s a dead eBay link through Pinterest. Just hoping to pin the mark for the sake of doing it. C6D17327-5776-4BAD-B3DA-1B7243E1910D.jpeg 621DE094-ED55-423C-B4BC-C7A102E2C28C.jpeg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

What's the problem? Looks 19th c for sure

i need help, J Dagger and Bakersgma like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's either Carlsbad or someone's pattern called Carlsbad. Either way, it's nice.

judy, i need help, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wish I could help with the mark. So unusual with those fangs! Could you link the Pinterest one you found? Maybe someone could narrow to a possible country if there was a 2nd example shown.

Great looking piece!

pearlsnblume, judy and i need help like this.
  5. J Dagger

Not questioning when it was made. Would like to know who made it or if this is a known Carlsbad mark.

judy likes this.
  6. J Dagger

Thanks! It’s a dang cool handle. Here’s the link https://www.pinterest.com/pin/571112796492874052/

It should be Austrian and 19th c. I didn’t find any Carlsbad marks that matched this one so it made me curious to know if anyone had seen this one before.

i need help likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Carlsbad is a place, and possibly a style if this is a pattern. Even so, It looks 19th c Austrian as you say, and has a look of Amphora or Teplitz pieces.

Most of the stuff labelled or marked Carlsbad is porcelain, while this piece is a type of pottery.
    European porcelain, almost without exception, is so highly vitrified that crazing is never seen.

i need help, Bakersgma and J Dagger like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. looks new to me.

J Dagger likes this.
  9. J Dagger

Yeh it’s odd I thought it looked newer too! Then I saw a ton of similar examples without any claiming to be any newer and just figured I was wrong. The mark is so clean. Are you thinking it’s a more modern repro?

10. J Dagger

I noticed that the look was different than other pieces marked Carlsbad (which I did know was a place). Your point about the crazing is interesting... It definitely has the look of Austrian 19th c as we both thought. Taking Fids comment into consideration what do you think the odds are it could be a more modern piece? It really does look too perfect for its age. Outside of the gold paint on the neck looking worn it’s basically flawless. I suppose it could have been kept in storage nearly since new and that could explain it. I’d love it to be 19th c but maybe that would also explain this strange mark?

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

yes. no problem to make these older-looking craquelure glazings today thanks to simple additives. but the first thing that made me burp is those cutouts on the bottom; never seen that before. the bottom should be flat.

J Dagger likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's a craquelure glaze; it's not sufficiently pronounced or even. Robert Hanke is another name to consider.

Fid likes this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

J Dagger likes this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't new!

J Dagger likes this.
  16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Never seen cutouts like that either, but doesn’t mean there aren’t any. The painting, rest of the shape, and the bronze gilded handle all look period to me. Puzzler.

J Dagger and Fid like this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Here is an example from my collection. 6 1/2" tall. No crazing. I have never been able to ID the mark.
    Don

IMG_20200205_180559188.jpg IMG_20200205_180617170.jpg

18. J Dagger

Oooooh interesting! Any backstory at all?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. J Dagger

20. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I searched for the mark on the link I posted, and it led to Carl Knoll. Looking for Carl Knoll, I found a vase like Don's, but not marked the same. Worth checking out, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted