Anyone know this image?

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Feb 19, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

6353A196-C3BD-4F0A-9F63-79337E9A2613.jpeg Bought this nearly a year ago and just unpacked it finally. Wondering if anyone is familiar with the image?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can hardly see it. Assume it's not signed. Would you be kind enough to post a close-up, image only? And... anything on the back?

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. J Dagger

4BFB18B3-7DD0-4CF8-920E-7624B95BB710.jpeg
    No sig, no nothing. It’s a relatively modern framing. Hopefully this is a bit easier to see. I thought maybe it was a page from a book. Could be wrong on that.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it a woman with... beast or man? dog or donkey?

Debora

Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

Woman with what I thought was a beastly man (unkempt/rough) and a pig. Could be a dog.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT is a VERY TOUGH one to decipher!!!! Here's the best I could do with it, by removing the color.....and all sorts of things.....MIND YOU, I am guessing, but just saw @J Dagger seems to be pretty well hitting it!! But I DO think there is some writing both on the left AND right.....although very small......wait....let me mark where before I post.....almost looks like a cat in the basket too, and a flag up behind the pig's head (corkscrew-ish tail)! OK, that's all I've got! HA! Woman has her right hand on man's shoulder....he DOES look strange....I thought one legged at first, but now see both legs.....he may have a stump for left hand....She's apparently some sort of Guardian Angel....NOW I think that's all I've got.... well....the LEFT red line may be just grass, but looks like it's a Siggy on the right starting with 'A'..... @J Dagger if you have a good magnifier???? ONE MORE question.....is it pen and ink????

X36353A196-C3BD-4F0A-9F63-79337E9A2613-XX-edit.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    J Dagger likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Nice work! She definitely seems to be an angel or saint. I think you’re correct about the writing. It’s too far removed from the original or this is too poor a print to make it out even under a loupe though. Come to think of it there was another picture framed in the exact manner at the store that day. I actually bought that one too but it’s in storage in another state. I do however recall that it’s a relatively well known image of a man cleaning up a gruesome “battlefield” or some other horrible incident. Possibly by the same artist? Wish I could recall the work or the artist.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought it might be Goya but can't find a match. Not one of Los Caprichos.

Debora

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ergo, the probable reason for the shovel in his hand!! Seems to make sense anyway!! HA! And if you're correct on the scene, I don't need to know what might be in the basked!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::smuggrin:

Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  10. J Dagger

The lotion? ;p

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

charburner ?

J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I thought a saw a couple of skulls?
    My first thought was a depiction of Beauty and the Beast intertwined with a angel demonstrating love for a lonely soul.

J Dagger likes this.
  13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah! Thank you. Didn't search far enough.

Debora

J Dagger, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  15. J Dagger

2manybooks likes this.
  16. Alex Horst

Alex Horst New Member

It's beautiful. Very similar to the ancient biblical story.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted