Anyone know Westlin pottery - Tacoma WA? Bowl with face/mask decoration.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Nov 21, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked up this bowl - with a northwest NA-ish face/mask decoration. Signed Westlin on the back. From what I've gathered online he (Jack Westlin) was a potter in Tacoma WA but none of his stuff I'm finding online looks quite like this. Is anyone familiar with is work? Did he do other NA "inspired" pieces? The bowl is about 14 inches across. Thanks!

~

38395772956_37426cbb57_kdev.jpg 38419830942_fa91d24cb3_kdev.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

judy and aaroncab like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8ballsun9.jpg
    poor offering of a NWC design...
    the FAKE mask above is also a copy of an older known work...

judy and aaroncab like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I guess you could say it is "native-ish" or "native inspired" but the use of sort-of-native forms is not good, to put it mildly. I wouldn't allow it in my house, sorry.

There are a small number of potters who do OK native-style work, and one First Nations artist who was very good, Judy Cranmer.

pot.jpg

pot2.jpg

judy, aaroncab and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted