Anyone know what it is?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Toasted Autos, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Toasted Autos

Toasted Autos New Member

Hi all, I picked this up at a local auction it had 8mm films in it but it was such a tight fit that I don't think that is what it's original purpose was. As dirty as the outside is it appears to be chrome or polished stainless underneath. The only markings I see is a B in a circle. My guess is some kind of fancy food or pastry carrier. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Size?

3. Toasted Autos

Toasted Autos New Member

8" tall 5"wide

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Pretty small to carry very many pastries.

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Tarts?

6. Toasted Autos

Toasted Autos New Member

Pastries was just a guess might not have anything to do with food

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If not for the size, I would have suggested pie safe. Am I correct that it tapers some from top to bottom? What is the spacing between shelves?

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

ACDDF033-9A83-4708-ACFD-3DB5B5027111.jpeg So far, this is the closest I’m finding. Broken link, so who knows. :banghead:

9. Bronwen

That's the only one I can find either, that has a fixed configuration rather than being stackable.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. Toasted Autos

Toasted Autos New Member

I tried searching it all type of ways on google with no luck. The shelves are 5" wide 1" high there is no taper. It's 5 1/4" wide on top and bottom due to lip. Does anyone recognize the B maker's mark? Thanks!

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  11. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

12. Bronwen

13. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Yeah, I wasn't too clear about wording that ... it is the same one that INH found ... I was just able to find a round-about way to get the info that went along with the image. :)

14. Bronwen

Toasted, are the shelves in your also adjustable? How are they held up?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

And here I was sitting in "the South" and thinking of my grandmother's "pie safe" which definitely was not a metal "pie container/carrier" -- Grandma's "pie safe" was a footed, multi-shelved, wooden cabinet 5' or so with a "fine"-screened door and a lockable wooden knob. Grandma also kept her homemade jellies/preserves in the same "pie safe" on the back screened porch.

Even as a little child I knew that when Grandma headed for the back porch something really good-tasting would soon be joining the "meal" set out by my precious "little" (she was less than 5' feet tall even in her 2"-high-heeled lace-up shoes) grandma. :happy:

16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Salesman sample of the actual Pie carrier??? As a pie carrier, gotta get them to market somehow and that would be perfect (the actual sized one)

17. Bronwen

That was the term that first popped into my head, but a little Googling showed me furniture pieces along the lines of what you're so yummily describing. 'Carrier' seems better for items like OP's.

18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bronwen, I hope you know I was not concerned with your choice of words. After a very dreary winter-type (dark) day here, I was, I think, just wanting to remember a very happy "childhood" time. :happy:

pearlsnblume, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Oh no. I didn't take it as any kind of correction/criticism. Just me babbling. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yourturn, what lovely memories. I always wanted a pie safe.
    My grandmother was petite too.

Bronwen and yourturntoloveit like this.