Anyone know what style this is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by stfx12, Jan 28, 2020.

1. stfx12

stfx12 Member

Hey all! I bought this interesting cabinet/credenza thing at the local habitat for humanity because I thought it would make a fun spring project. It’s made of solid wood and has dovetail drawers. Anyone have any info on what style this is or any other info? I’m just curious :)

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thinking 1970s plus or minus.

Sometimes there is a maker's name inside the drawers towards the front on the side. Definitely check if you haven't.

It's a cool looking piece. :)

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and stfx12 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-1-28_12-50-11.jpeg

Yes, something to work on....with no harm to the value !

Say !!, who's the pretty pussy cat???

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. stfx12

stfx12 Member

His Name is Monty, my 7 year old rescue baby!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Please give Monty a good scritchy scritch under the neck for me....
    and then send him here so I can brush him......& play with him !!!!!

Today is one of those days where I miss tussling with a cat !!!! :(:(:(

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm getting a slight Danish feeling, late 1950s to 1960s.

Darkwing Manor and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say it has that Mess With Me vibe going.

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's only a hair away from that Lane brand Brutalist cabinet we saw a couple of weeks ago.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  9. antidiem

The right hand side looks like a Lane chest with the left hand portion (credenza lol) looks cobbled together to it. How is all of this braced on the underside, please?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. stfx12

stfx12 Member

I couldn’t flip it around to take a photo because it’s really heavy but this is what the inside/back looks like.
    390BDC91-30FC-4C04-B0AB-10A8FFCA8CCE.jpeg AB7931A2-7E27-4019-9CC4-67B48EC40583.jpeg 6E53DFFD-7F59-4DD0-9842-4FAE1E4A771C.jpeg

11. antidiem

Thanks, now I don't think it's cobbled together, but just sitting up next to some other cabinet in the first shot. I really love the "chain" look to the wooden drawers. I still think it's a 1970s Lane Brutalist cabinet, with "chains" :cat: and looks to be in a bit better shape than I'd thought, although has its share of dings.

Looks like walnut wood, which would also be typical of Lane brand. The only thing that doesn't totally resemble Lane is the lack of sheen for the finish, although they manufactured low gloss sheen tables too. Please wait for others to chime in, now that we have more than one picture and thank you for showing us.

@verybrad , @Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924, komokwa and stfx12 like this.
  12. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Are those vertical drawers on the right side? Do you have a photo with them pulled out? Kind of reminds me of a "Hi-Fi" cabinet from the 60's.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. stfx12

stfx12 Member

923DB85A-5DFC-45DC-A581-22E2142E340C.jpeg F734D110-2E96-4E2A-90A3-ADB3F1716802.jpeg DDFF5E3D-1027-48F7-AE30-BD1C6F4C881B.jpeg

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't know who made this. Really doubt it is Lane. The quality seems just a notch down for them. The MDF construction points to this being a bit later piece. Could very well be an import, as they used MDF before we did here in the US.

Darkwing Manor and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thinking ca. 1960 Danish modern as an inspiration, but lower quality execution and slightly derivative in style, so perhaps 1965-70.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted