Featured Anyone know where this scene is? Ross Sterling Turner watercolor sketch.

Discussion in 'Art' started by anundverkaufen, Sep 4, 2017.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Born in Westport, N.Y., lived in Salem, Ma. and studied in Germany & Italy, died in the Bahamas. Anyone know where this 1878 sketch is from? Thanks!
    IMG_2619.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am tempted to say the Bahamas, of course.:D
    Sorry about that. Somewhere in Central Europe I think, possibly include Switzerland in any search.
    Could even be Maastricht in The Netherlands, river, Roman Bridge, Medieval tower (helpoort), limestone cliffs. But if it were true to the actual situation, the composition would be different.

Danno, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lord of the Rings.......???:playful:

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This was the most detailed biography I found (and you probably did, too). http://bermudacaribbeanart.com/ross-sterling-turner-biography/

The year 1878 happened when he was in Europe, and he may have been in either Paris or Munich. (And a chance he had gone to Italy already?) Because of the description of the Munich Academy, I'm going to guess southern Germany: "Turner first went to Paris, then moved on to Munich, where he became a student at the prestigious Munich Academy, which emphasized a thick, painterly style marked by dark tones and vigorous brush strokes (The Munich Style, as it came to be known). "

Christmasjoy, judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That building looks Southern European to me with the roof style.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it could be this complex, Burghausen in Bavaria, southern Germany:
    [​IMG]
    It is the longest castle in Europe, about 1 km long, with six courtyards. It overlooks the river Salzach, which used to flow on both sides. One side is now a small lake. There is a new bridge.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted