Featured Anyone knows what it is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pedro Santos, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Pedro Santos

Pedro Santos Marchand and collector

11119341_10204011610430718_922209944_n.jpg 11119341_10204011610430718_922209944_n.jpg 11118076_10204011610550721_1011374554_n.jpg 11160536_10204011610630723_14474745_n.jpg 11164075_10204011611110735_901167455_n.jpg 11157015_10204011611390742_2028710050_n.jpg 11173477_10204011611470744_211135289_n.jpg

Does anyone have any idea of what this might be?
    Regards
    Pedro

Attached Files:

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Are there any marks any where on this piece?

What are the dimensions of the piece?

Peggy

KingofThings and Pedro Santos like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks like a burner and a rest. Maybe for your curling iron?

4. Pedro Santos

It is 18cm by 7cm.
    No markings on it.
    Pedro

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Pedro Santos

That is also my idea :) I think it is from a 1920's curling iron. But would like to see what other people think about it.
    Thanks for the input :)
    Pedro

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

7. Pedro Santos

Thank you :)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

9. Pedro Santos

Similar yes but I've never found one exactly equal.
    Thanks for the input :)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You asked ...what is it ....& Shang is bang on...!

11. Shangas

Apparently the input might not have been as appreciated as we first believed, Komo!

Presumably lamp oil or similar was poured into the base and soaked up by the wicks, which were ignited to heat the curling tongs before using them to set a lady's hair into the fashionable styles of the day...

12. Pedro Santos

Congratulations gentlemen you are both right.

Did you stop for a minute to consider that another answer may be possible?

13. Shangas

What answer would that be?

Pedro Santos and KingofThings like this.
  14. komokwa

The one Shang found looks like a sister to yours.

This one is along the same lines...

[​IMG]
    That , & I'm familiar with the travelling ones .......like this...

[​IMG]

So ...no.....even though yours is missing it's tongs.....not for a minute !

15. Shangas

I'm confused.

"Did you stop for a minute to consider that another answer may be possible?"

...No. Because that is what it is - a curling-iron rest! Just doesn't have the iron to go on top.

16. Pedro Santos

Gentlemen....
    for some reason you seem very upset that I wont take your answers like a text from God.
    As I've said before I do believe that it is what you say it is but I've also heard other interesting theories. ;)
    One of them is that it could be a Victorian medical burner that would be in a doctors office for disinfection of instruments.
    [​IMG]

Please don't be upset , after all this is a forum and forums are for debating opinions and ideas. ;)

17. komokwa

The question was asked....
    "Does anyone have any idea of what this might be ? " , along with nice photo's.
    Answers were given, along with a photo from Shang, and you concur...twice.

End of story.......

But no.....you come back with another question...." did we stop for a minute to consider......"
    1. that's an aggressive , confrontational remark...!
    2. it should have been phrased as " Could there be another use for this . What do you think of this idea ? "
    3. you already had another possible use in mind, but instead of sharing, you prefer to play games.

So be it.....
    The answers now came back , with photo's , that we did not consider another answer possible.
    & why should have.
    We said what we believe it to be , to the best of our knowledge .....and you agreed !!!

End of story........

But no....now you make it personal for some reason I do not understand.

So , for my part ....I was not upset.....until your last post.
    Yes this forum is for opinions and ideas & also for helping others using our combined knowledge to figure out what the item in question really is.
    Not for playing little psych games , testing our ability to root out unknown alternate possibilities.

I offer up my knowledge here, willing to be proven wrong.....if I'm in error , but not to be jerked around , second guessed, or told that I think I'm some deity !!

If you had other ideas on this item , you should have come forward with them from the get go so they could be discussed......

And as for your pic of a medical burner.....

[​IMG]

I found this one on line...described as a curling iron rest......at Pinterest....which I can't confirm to be accurate , but it is consistent in style to the one you show....and has no similarity to your actual item.

Pinterest is great for photo's....not so much for accurate descriptions !

As for what you do or don't do with any information I offer up here .....I don;t give a rats ass.......that's all on you !

KingofThings likes this.
  18. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Just looked at this and immediately said "for heating curling tongs" I have sold many of these in my day, with or without the curling tongs. Somewhere in all the dross in the house I have a brass heater for tongs. Yours is a very decorative heater.

Pedro Santos likes this.
  19. Shangas

We're not interested in whether or not you take our word as gospel. Not being religious I don't particularly care one way or the other. What Komo is complaining about is the fact that you just don't believe anyone, despite multiple people already giving you the right answer. It makes us feel like we're just wasting our time here, that you don't care, and that you've already made up your mind what it is. That being the case, why should we bother trying to help?

And medical instruments were boiled in water to sterilise them, even back in Victorian times.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. komokwa

Hey Pedro....
    I hope you have a great weekend & that your friends and family are all well and happy !
    I trust you'll stick around and show us many more photo's of your marvelous collection, & regale us with tales of how they came to be in your possession .

Draft saved Draft deleted