Featured Anyone need a martini? Silver Shaker:

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Doc J., Jun 18, 2018.

1. Doc J.

Doc J. Gold and Silver accumulator

Here is one for those that require it to be shaken and not stirred. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's probably early 20th Century.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice shaker, Doc.

I'm just curious, though. Why do you never show marks or even mention makers on your silver items?

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was probably full of vodka martinis.

4. Doc J.

Sorry, I am new here.

The above is Sterling 835 and at 570 grams + the top that has a cork in it and makes it 680 grams. I have the maker in London somewhere around here. I'll hunt it up.

I got this one 20 years ago when no one cared. I still like them for the beauty of the piece but have no one place yet where I can identify them. I'll merge everything together so I can do so.

Thanks for your advice.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Doc J.

Here is #2 which is a Reed&Barton piece dated 1930. It's 925 and made in MA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bakersgma

If you show a picture of the actual marks on your shaker, there are several of us "silver mavens" who would be happy to look them up for you. :)

I do have to say one thing right now. "835" as a fineness indicator on solid silver items is not "sterling." "Sterling" is only properly used when the fineness of the silver is 925 parts per 1000. And the UK never allowed items of less than 925/1000 to pass assay. So I think your memory of the "London maker" may be incorrect.

7. Doc J.

Thanks,
    I mentioned the above was 925 which is 92.5% silver. Yes, the other one was 835 which is 83%. Yes, I may be wrong on the London maker. I made the first list in 1998.

Thanks for the offer of looking it up with my better better pictures. My light box is home-made and used for old guns and old gold/silver coins. It's hard to get a picture in some of these silver pieces, but I'll figure it out.

I think I have at least 200 sterling (including the almost sterling) pieces. I am just now studying them more carefully (I'm retired). I liked them then and now because I thought the piece was beautiful. I still feel the same.

It was never an investment.

8. Bakersgma

I was typing the reply you quoted when you posted the Reed and Barton shaker, so none of what I said applied to it. ;) (And it is lovely, by the way!)

One reason why I think it is important to include pictures of marks is the educational function of this site. Your treasures and our discussions will help improve less-knowledgeable members' understanding of what to look for, how to read and research marks, identify styles and functionality of unusual pieces, etc.

And I do understand how hard it can be to get good pictures of silver items and teensy, tiny marks. But if you can get good pics of coins, I'm sure your camera can deal with small marks.

As for "not an investment," I too am only a collector. Have never purchased a piece with the intent to sell. But I sure do enjoy having them as I can tell you do as well! :)

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Beautiful shakers! Would love to have one, but silver is so expensive.

So what's with the clothes pin in the photos? Size comparison? Something to focus on?? Love the texture on the Reed & Barton, but the first one is so stately looking!!

10. Doc J.

It's a way to identify my pictures. I've had coin and gun pictures copied and post FS on the internet. It's a pain to get eBay and the rest of them to delete them as fraud without identities.

I think silver is inexpensive when you look at the melt value. The shaker above has about $250 in silver in it. The cost to reproduce a piece like that is way higher.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for sharing some pieces in your collection. I agree with Bakersgma that photos of the marks can be educational. And great idea to include the clothespin! It is inobtrusive yet wiill serve the purpose.

judy likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

835 rather sounds German to me.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or Dutch. Or Austrian. Or Belgian.

Draft saved Draft deleted