Anyone recognise this mark? Is it fake old or possibly antique?!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all, picked this up today and don't recognise the mark on the base. It's a 3 part dish with a coral/sea shell theme. Any idea what it is/was used for? I'm curious to know if you think it has a bit of age to it or if it's a fake old stamp from somewhere like Japan in the 1950s? It has a gritty appearance. Any info much appreciated :joyful:

image0 (92).jpeg image2 (71).jpeg image1 (82).jpeg image3 (63).jpeg image4 (52).jpeg image5 (48).jpeg

ulilwitch and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The mark is in the shape of an English design registration mark. In theory. the makers initials are M & P.

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Hi, thanks- I think either M & P or M & F.

ulilwitch, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're right. That second letter could certainly be an F.

ulilwitch, judy and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here are some possibilities to check out. One from this site mentions Meigh & Pankhurst
    http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/index.html

These are from Godden's book of marks. The Machin & Potts and Mills & Fradley would be too early for the diamond registry mark.

IMG_20210404_194826.jpg img20210404_195029.jpg

ulilwitch, judy, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

judy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Can you make out the letters and numbers around the diamond when you see it in person? It sort of looks like an R on the bottom. If a date can be found there is a possibility that patterns registered that day might be on a list of makers that registered on that day. (assuming it's not fake)

upload_2021-4-4_20-45-37.png

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

I've taken another look. It's quite hard to tell as the mark is a little fuzzy (the loupe doesn't help). My eyes are crossing looking at it lol. It could very well be an 'R' but also looks like it could be at '3 something'. Is that possible or likely to be a single number?

ulilwitch likes this.
  9. Elen Beattie

10. say_it_slowly

Well that certainly looks like your mark and your piece! Actually is that your piece? The photos say courtesy of you.

Maybe you can get them to add the initials to their initials used by page:)

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/index.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Elen Beattie

Ha it is! I actually emailed them last night and got this response today:

Yes this is a piece by Meigh & Forester and there is absolutely no reason to think that it is not genuine.
    I have added your photos to the web page….

The registration diamond gives details of the date of registration of the pattern….
    http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/reg.htm#1868
    Meigh & Forester were only in operation for around 3 years and they only registered three patterns. Two of them were on the same date (2nd October 1883) - although difficult to read I think that the design of your piece was the one that was registered on the same day as the ‘Congo’ pattern - I have put the two marks side by side on the page so you can compare them.

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Congratulations, Elen!

You’ve Been Published! :jawdrop:

Nice Find, Great Sleuthing!!!

That must be Encouraging, did they give any information on the design?

Elen Beattie likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

14. Elen Beattie

Thank you! No information on the design unfortunately but I will keep investigating. Any idea what it might be used for? Some kind of condiment dish or for a dressing table perhaps?

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

No ideas other than what’s suggested. But the center one is she’ll shaped, I don’t know if that indicates anything.

16. Elen Beattie

Seems to be for sweetmeats!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted