Anyone recognize this artist/older oil painting ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by janettekay, Dec 22, 2014.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have had this a long time...and it was hanging in my mom's house since I remember.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have more pics....incl. nondescript back...

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's nice....

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I like it very much!

Surname looks more like Nelson than anything else I can think of, but what should be an o in Nelson seems to have a little tail like a lower case a instead. Maybe just a slip of the brush?

4. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I really like this one too...very well done. I would not be surprised that the artist is known. Just throwing this out there, maybe you can try to contact some art museums and galleries that are around the area that your parents had this painting. I have a painting and found out that the Telfair museum had a painting from the same artist. I also found out that the Smithsonian has a painting too from the same artist.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. janettekay

Thanks all...forgot to mention...it seems to be quite dirty. (maybe nicotine) .but not sure worth getting cleaned...(I am correct..I can't do it myself..right?)....

6. Armando0831

Personally, if it's nicotine, I wouldn't attempt to clean it myself. Regular dirt from age, you might be able to wipe off yourself with a damp cloth. Nicotine is a little sticky, which I think would use a different method to clean it.

7. Armando0831

Take it to a reputable dealer or gallery, they should give you a good idea if it's worth cleaning. If you're trying to sell this, it may not be a good idea to, depending on the depth of the cleaning process.

If you're keeping this for yourself, the cost is up to you to decide.

8. janettekay

Oh..I am not planning on selling it...it has memories and I like it. !!

9. Armando0831

I would say the price is up to you then. You can't put a price on memories. Along with the memories and you really liking it, I would consider getting it cleaned. Not only those mentioned above, but to protect it for future family members to enjoy as you have done for many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted