Featured Anyone Recognize This Designer? Mystery Vintage Pendant & Earring Sets.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by AUhills, Aug 19, 2019.

1. AUhills

AUhills Member

So admittedly I do not know much at all about vintage jewelry like this, but I came across these at a pawn shop a few years ago and picked them up just because I thought they were underpriced. (I'm not one to pass up a deal;)) I bought both sets for $500 altogether and haven't done anything with them since but now am trying to research if maybe these are something of value by a high-end designer or just worth no more than what I paid? If they are worth a lot more than I paid I will sell them, if not worth to much I might just keep them until I have someone special to give them to.

They seem a unique style so maybe someone that knows more than me will recognize the designer? or be able to help me estimate a value? I don't even know what all the stones are for sure, any knowledge on these pieces will be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

more pics please......marks if any too !!

they look like real gems, and gold.............

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Am I understanding correctly that there are no marks at all on these?

Have you had the stones tested? Do you know what they are?

Others will come along and want pictures of the backs.

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Not of much use to you I'm afraid, but the style and construction look very familiar to me..................I shall ponder this during the few free moments I have today and see if I can remember what has fled my aging brain cells...........................

5. Jivvy

I feel like we've had similar on the board, but I cannot find any such.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't know if I've forgotten something or made something up. :joyful:

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I've come to realise that just because I've thought about doing something and mentally ticked it off doesn't necessarily mean I've actually done it :rolleyes:

7. AUhills

AUhills Member

Thanks for all the reply's, I'm working on getting more detailed pictures and some of the backs too but I think my old digital camera finally self-destructed because I can't get anything in focus. Just bear with me and I'll have some more detailed pictures posted.

I haven't taken these to a Jeweler yet to have any of the stones identified and tested yet either. In the meanwhile I'm not sure if this will help but the only possible lead I've had on who made these is someone telling me it reminded them specifically of pieces by an old famous jeweler in Rio, Brazil but that lead never really led anywhere because they weren't for sure and couldn't even think of the jewelers name.

Stay tuned for better pictures, I'm looking forward to figuring these out:)

8. Jivvy

Some vintage H. Stern pieces do demonstrate a love of mixed stones and old cuts, but I don't think he's the guy. https://www.pinterest.com/oldsugarshaker/h-stern-jewellery/

No, I don't know Brazilian jewelry. I searched on "famous brazilian jeweler" and of the contenders, I judged him most similar (but not quite). :rolleyes::joyful:

9. komokwa

stones like that came out of Italy in the 80's....but that's all I got !!

( cuz I was there buying them..)

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing citrine, amethyst and blue topaz. Without a full shot of the marks I don't think anyone has a prayer of figuring out whodunnit.

kyratango, AUhills and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

More pics would be great. (Pics of the backs for sure, plus any close ups you can provide.)

From the photos above, its not your average set. Would definitely scour for marks and an easy thing to ask your jeweler is whether the clear stones could possibly be diamonds. Every jeweler is different, but some won't do extended testing on colored stones for free, but might give a quick opinion on whether those are diamonds which would be a starting point. Anxious to see what you find out!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Christmasjoy and AUhills like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Not a joolie but those are pretty.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and AUhills like this.
  13. komokwa

Now I'm not saying this is strange to hear......only that I've never heard anything like it before.....

"So admittedly I do not know much at all about vintage jewelry like this, but I came across these at a pawn shop a few years ago and picked them up just because I thought they were underpriced. (I'm not one to pass up a deal;)) I bought both sets for $500 altogether and haven't done anything with them since but now am trying to research if maybe these are something of value by a high-end designer or just worth no more than what I paid?

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It depends on whose dollars are in question. Zimbabwean dollars were worth less than pennies for a while. Dunno about now.

Christmasjoy and AUhills like this.
  15. Mansons2005

Darn! These are really bothering me...............I think they re good pieces, and I ALMOST recognize them.............but not quite. Since I no longer work for him, I assume it is okay to say that my familiarity with jewellery comes from working with Luxebustertoo on eBay, so it is a wide and varied experience. My first thought on these was older Marco Bicigo, but without marks??? I think what is throwing me is the gold - lately many designers who do this do it in sterling or white gold.

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I know zero about this kind of stuff but to my uneducated eye they are odd. Beautiful but odd. The total lack of symmetry on the top piece. Looks like the designer rooted through their similar coloured odd gems box and used them all together. And the randomness of the big gems and then the tiny clear stones which he/she clearly had to many of and slightly childishly surrounded the bottom gem. If they are diamonds they are overshadowed by the unbalanced sizes.
    The bottom piece almost managed to be balanced until the bottom two. Ran out of the similar size ones or just had to throw a curve ball in?. Odd colour matches too.
    That all sounds negative which it isn't meant to be as they are stunning gems but I can't get inside the head of the designer as to what the plan was!

17. Jivvy

Right there with ya. :p

18. AUhills

AUhills Member

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts. They have been surprisingly hard to research because there are no hallmarks to go off of and no provenance came with them. I really keep thinking they could be something special though, they are just so unique and to me very artistic & beautiful. I mean at first glance they just look like odd pieces of costume jewelry but then you see they are all real precious/semi-precious stones set in yellow gold and I'd be terribly mistaken if all the small clear ones aren't diamonds. I think the real money question here is going to be are they a high-end vintage designer name or is the value here just going to be what you see in gems and gold?

Please be patient with me on better pictures, my old camera died and I ordered a new one off amazon. Trust me you don't want me using my flip phone camera lol!

I'm planning on taking these 2 sets to a reputable local jewelry store to have all the stones checked and an appraisal done but it sure would be really nice to be able to tell them who it was made by so I'm going to keep doing some more research first.

KSW, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. Mansons2005

Ippolita! That's the designer I was thinking/reminded of. While they produce similar designs with similar construction, their goods are legibly marked. If I had walked into work and found these on my desk, that is where I would have started my search..............................

20. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The earring backs in pic 1 look like some I've had and identified ... but can't remember the name.
    The second set, especially the earrings look like some that I have from Brazil.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted