Anyone recognize this unmarked pottery vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crystalina, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I will apologize for how dirty this vase is, it's been in my attic for years and also for a couple pics not being fully in focus, my shaking is worse today. Anyway, this vase has a couple of chips, it is unmarked and is 7.25" tall. The opening is 6.5" w x 2.75". The base is 5.5" w x 3". It is a blue gray color. I looked through hundreds of art deco vases and couldn't find one of this style. I am thinking it's mid century? I don't know if there is a pottery company that is not as famous as some that may have made this??? I live in NW Ohio, so it may have been from around my area. Can you please tell me the things you notice about this vase that I may learn from? Also, how much do chips de-value a piece ? That way I know what to look for in the future. I greatly appreciate your help!

art deco vase.jpg art deco vase bottom.jpg art deco vase inside.jpg art deco vase chips.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Joe2007 likes this.
  3. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

That looks just like it! Thank you!!!:smuggrin:

4. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

How did you find it so fast? I spend alot of time spinning my wheels...

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa, aaroncab and Joe2007 like this.
  6. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thank you, I will check it out. Can you tell me in your knowledge how chips de-value a piece?

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

How to value damaged pieces isn't an exact science, it depends on how the end user the "retail buyer" will view the damage and how much it will bother them.

People that just want some nice décor type pieces to display in their home may not see those chips as detracting much while other pickier collectors may need a large discount or not purchase the damaged piece at all.

There is different types of damage; with a piece broken off being the worst, most severe and a small hairline crack or small chip being a best case scenario. Some pottery collectors also may not like crazing on pieces, especially when it is uneven or detracts from the eye appeal of the piece.

Personally when I'm shopping; damage like this would cause me to pass on a piece since I already have a substantial collection and am running out of room to store it all. Newer collectors would likely still have interest.

On this particular piece the chips probably devalue it by at least 50% and make it harder to sell.

Hope this helps! Kudos to @say_it_slowly for the identification. I don't know my RRPCO wares too well.

8. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

That's wonderful help, thank you again!!

Draft saved Draft deleted