Anyone see anything good in this estate sale?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by evelyb30, Jul 28, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's a digger sale. They only show two junky necklaces but I'm thinking of going anyway because it's in the right zip code. I.e. money. There's a Goodwill tag in one image so the homeowner probably had mostly trash. There is what looks like a Fiesta jug in one picture and what may be a small piece of silver in the basement bar. My guess is it's an older house, probably one of those post-War econo-boxes.

https://estatesales.org/estate-sale...rtford-midcentury-estate-sale-1935727/gallery

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The star looking clock. The lamp in pieces with the long plastic shades, depending on condition, possibly. It looks rough though. The chair in picture 76 has an interesting shape but I imagine it doesn't smell too nice. The lamp at the back in photo 152 maybe. If you could pocket the quarters in pic 107 you could come out ahead, at least.

3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

For re-sale? Those #1 head displays are pretty cool but some damage, #52 white and green plastic mid-mod hanging chain lamps could be worth quite a lot. Maybe the #15 disc pitcher, #4 old mixing bowl, 132 and 136 atomic wall clocks, check #63 costume illustration (and other framed art) for original or a print? Ooohhh.. and #54 and 55! Buttons in old tins! I'd have some fun sorting through those boxes!

LauraGarnet02 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Those Moroccan? hanging lights in pic 26 look interesting, if brass.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think the chalkware cats are cute if they are in great condition. May be made by Miller.
    I saw a magazine rack, also if it is in good condition that is good for resale.

I think I saw a Fiesta pitcher in green but can't tell the size or condition or what era it is from. Took another look, that pitcher may be a small fiesta creamer.

7. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

8. Tahmoor girl

9. evelyb30

Got the address finally. It's a WWII era (either just barely post or slightly pre) two-story with a basement. I can either go up one flight or down one flight, but can't do both. If the basement stairs don't have a hand rail, up it is. Basement stair are often too dangerous for me. (nerve damage and I'm not suicidal) Another problem is that I have a very strict weight limit for what I can carry - one reason I usually buy jewelry. I love those Moroccan style brass lamps.

I'd say real and that the first guy in the door and down the stairs (the way I can't move any more I may not even make it into the basement) will be after it. IF the company doesn't jack up the price.

I've been buying stuff for a long time and can generally spot real silver in person, marks or no marks. Dealers sometimes miss French and Portuguese marks and overprice the British stuff. I've scored on German silver too.

George Chaney and Darkwing Manor like this.
  10. Tahmoor girl

I carry a small magnifying glass in my purse all the time and a flat fridge magnet. Silver is not attracted to magnets but stainless steel is.

11. evelyb30

I have a 12x loupe and a magnet in my purse too. Don't usually resort to either unless the markings are really bitty or messed up. Otherwise I just pull my glasses down or look under so I don't alert the seller. A loupe gets obvious quickly.

12. Tahmoor girl

I've started to volunteer in my local 'LifeLine' thrift shop, (tidying shelves, cleaning and disinfecting donations) and I noticed people were donating silver cutlery and stuff. I check things for hallmarks and if the item has an interesting one, I buy it for a few dollars and take it home to research.

If I end up with a lot of silver plated spoons which aren't worth much, I can put them on ebay for collectors.

New South Wales Australia is in lock down and we've had to stay at home for months so I'm on this site most of the day, trying to help antiques enthusiasts search the Web and hopefully learn more about spotting potentially valuable old junk.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    George Chaney and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. Freedonia

Freedonia New Member

The cherry blossom Thermos #117 and the turquoise table #12 are interesting.

14. evelyb30

The thermos looks like one from the local pan-Asian grocery. No idea about the table.

15. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Fenton stretch in #6!

16. Doot Boi

Actually, check both the Fenton and the pieces in front if they are Amberina glass. If they are, there's a really nice premium there.

17. Doot Boi

That's all I can definitely say is worth checking out with my current subset of knowledge.

18. Doot Boi

Where are you selling magazine racks? I can't GIVE AWAY magazine racks round here!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am not selling them but some people are selling them on etsy. But they have to mid century ones in great shape.

20. evelyb30

Nobody was selling anything at this sale, at least not to me. Waited outside for over an hour. The stairs were unnavigable and the the prices were ridiculous. And the estate sale runner was one of the nastiest I've ever run across. A lot of professionals were there to buy and a lot of stuff was left behind. I told some of them about things I'd seen in the garage. It wasn't their fault. The young help all seemed nice and polite too, unlike the boss.

I found a few pieces, but he started his prices high and wouldn't budge or listen to reason. I ended up literally slamming a little sterling-banded toothpick holder onto the table after taking out some pieces of fabric and a ridiculously overpriced belt buckle. Walked out the door with him yelling at me. Kept walking.

The woman who I think was his wife was outside the door. I picked up a plastic bag that fell out of my tote and told her "Don't worry, I won't be back" without any real anger in my voice at all. She just sort of gave me an "I'm sorry" look and I went to my car with an empty bag. I feel sorry for her, putting up with him.

He kept saying "I bet I can get X.XX for that" ... sure buddy but it won't be from me. And how the prices would only drop on Sunday. Good luck. One more estate company to cross off the list.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted