Anyone seen figurines like this before? Appear to be metal clad, maybe copper, quite heavy

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Jul 17, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

These just arrived on consignment and I'm at a loss at the moment as to how to describe them. No markings that I could find. Each weighs between 4 and 5 pounds and measure about 11 inches in height. For the most part non-magnetic, although a small area on one of them attracted my magnet. Is this spelter metal? I'm trying to determine the maker and age. Thank you! ... Dave
    db_figurines_1.JPG
    db_figurines_2.JPG
    db_figurines_3.JPG
    db_figurines_4.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those look like lawn knomes

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Spelter is not suitable for solid castings. It shrinks as it cools and would be all cracked. Most likely brass.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spelter would show white or silvery if you scratch it. I'd think brass too. Chinese people, obviously, and I suspect that's where they're from. I'd also think early 20th C to 1930s.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think spelter is still a possibility-end of nose on one looks grayish. Spelter is often used in place of bronze for figurines, decorative objects etc. because it expands slightly when cooling, like bronze, picking up all of the fine detail in the mold, but costs less than bronze.

6. gimbler-dave

Hi all -- I'll try to post some more pictures this afternoon. In particular, there are cracks in both figurines which make me think this is not "pure" brass -- I'll try to get a couple more close up shots. The surface texture is very rough and the patina is not uniform. Thanks Ownedbybear for your date estimate, that is a big help. ... Dave

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

About spelter ..

Terry writes...It shrinks as it cools and would be all cracked.

Spring writes.. because it expands slightly when cooling, like bronze, picking up all of the fine detail.

So.....I'm confused .....they can't both be right ......can they ????

I do know of a thing...that both expands & shrinks but that depends on whether it's being heated or cooled ....... not both ! ;)

8. gimbler-dave

Here are two more shots showing close up of the surface where there are cracks:
    db_figurines_5.JPG
    db_figurines_6.JPG

9. sneezer

sneezer Noob

anyone know how i can make my own thread? sorry for posting it here.

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bradley - your question has already been answered twice on other threads, so you should be good to go, yes?

11. gimbler-dave

I've reviewed the figurines with a couple of colleagues here. They suggest maybe chalkware or something like terracotta, possibly with some thin coating of copper. I'm hoping someone here might have some better ideas after seeing my last 2 pictures showing the crack closeups, with the 2nd picture showing a pit on the surface that shows some of the underlying material. So one question I have is what materials like this would have been used in China in the timeframe bear suggested earlier? ... Dave

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be really surprised if those are baked earth, given the weight.

13. gimbler-dave

Here's another curiosity - there is a magnetic anomaly on one of the figurines. Nothing is magnetic except a small area around the belly on the figurine of the woman, where my test magnet will easy stick.

14. gimbler-dave

I shot another picture of the pit along the crack, this time with flash & as close as I could focus:
    db_figurines_7.JPG

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That really looks like resin in the hole, but I suspect it may be glue from the repair

Draft saved Draft deleted