Anyone seen this signature before

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mikeyaces, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be a factory painting in which case the name of the "artist" is unimportant.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NO to the signature, but I like the painting!

4. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Haha I figure! Factory paintings what a concept, artist making art for mass consumption. No one cares about the artist at that point.

5. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

What’s the best way to tell or is it just knowledge cause you know most of the popular artist?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's not exactly what factory art is. An artist making art for mass consumption is someone like Thomas Kinkade, who had formal art training. Name and style recognition is key to marketing that type of art. Factory art is assembly-like work produced quickly and cheaply by workers, mostly in Asia, who use noms de brosse.

Debora

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

We see a lot of factory art here. You can search for old threads for other examples but...

Generally, factory art is -- to quote myself -- produced with minimum effort for maximum effect. (If you look closely at your work, you can see how quickly it would have been done.)

The "artists" who produce factory art have some facility for copying but lack formal art training. (If you look closely at your work, you can see how the linear perspective is wonky and some of the details are sloppy like the street lamp that hovers on a slim pole two stories high.)

Also, the same types of scenes are reproduced over and over such as "Alpine Scene with Chalet," "Rocky Mediterranean Coastline with Villas" and yours which I always describe as "Rainy Night in Paris Street Scene." (And if you look closely, you can see that the works all have an unconvincing feeling to them which shows that they don't depict a location actually observed by the artist.)

Debora

s-l1600.jpg 81xHyJaylIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Joval-French-Street-Scene-Large-Canvas-Art-L11029966.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Bakersgma and blooey like this.
  8. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Ah thanks so much Debora always learning new things here ;) your quite knowledgeable and always appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Debora likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

backside tells more than the painted side. canvas color, even the texture can tell a lot about age.
    what you have is a typical Paris scenery with Haussmann buildings. generic even when made in the last 80 years.

judy likes this.
  10. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

8664FBE3-A462-4746-82D4-8042413FD20F.jpeg 95224901-8BB6-4BC6-ACEF-7505385495D2.jpeg F6BE44FF-B8E4-4BBD-88B5-3C8BFDAC6A42.jpeg Hi Fid, to use your expertise in determining a factory painting does this fit your example? I picked this up with 3 others and all are huge this is probably the smallest one.

F0774624-383F-438D-9A8E-A8CDDC3634E5.jpeg

judy likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it does. looks like someone took an old frame, spraypainted it, and found a newer painting not exactly fitting and stapled it in place with those strips.

12. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

Thanks for your input here Debora, I have wondered if there was a name for "factory art" Someone once told me the "artists" have a telephone book from which they choose names as signatures :) Learn things all the time from you guys. I just have to learn to upload photos to this site.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

most names used try to allude to well-known names that ring a bell with potential buyers.

14. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

Draft saved Draft deleted