Anyone who can tell something about this cup?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CatOphelia, Feb 15, 2020.

1. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Hello!

I stumbled upon this cute little cup, and have tried several times to trace its origin. I am a novice when it comes to pottery so I have very little background knowledge in this field...
    The details I managed to find are:
    The cup has no markings on the bottom;
    It is a purple transferware;
    It has a partial decoloration ( the color difference between the design on the inside and the one on the outside is pretty big.
    I believe it is dated between 18 and 19 century;
    (Please correct me if I am wrong)

What captured my attention is the outer design, it depicts palm trees, a castle, and some guards, it has a very exotic appearance. Also, it is in somewhat contrast with the flower design on the inner rim.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions! I am very curious!
    IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0320.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi CatOphelia!

Welcome to Antiquers..............:cat:

I can't help, but others will be along who can.

Any Jewelry and CatOphelia like this.
  3. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Thank you for your warm welcome! <3

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to have you here.

CatOphelia likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome!

It appears to be a Staffordshire teabowl in a mulberry (purple) pattern in one of the many "Oriental" styles. I imagine it dates about the second quarter of the 19th C.

If someone doesn't come and ID the pattern and possible maker I'll pull out some pattern books when I get a chance. Likely someone will know it though:)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Early 19th C Staffordshire made transfer ware tea bowl.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome CatOphelia.

judy and CatOphelia like this.
  8. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Thank you! <3

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Thank you for your reply! already checking more of the Staffordshire pieces to see resemblance X

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  10. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Thank you for the new details! I have looked throughout google and found similar "oriental" designs, but there were differences in the style of execution/the architecture of the buildings/the appearance of the people depicted, and also in the accuracy and abundance of details ( the cup I posted has less sharp details, compared to the versions I found online)

Do you think that earlier versions have a 'less detailed' appearance?

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It depends on who made the transfer sometimes. These were made by other companies, then sold to pottery factories.

judy and CatOphelia like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

It's such a lovely shape cup and would suggest an early 19th C date. Transferware is mass produced with some better, some not as good. Actually some of the earliest transferware is quite detailed. Many of the patterns are based on in-print examples that were popular at the time and then variation are put on pottery.

I've just gone through one book so far.

13. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

ew-9ruiop8Q
    Ah, good to know! Thank you so much for all the effort <3

judy likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Thinking this might not be Oriental style, but more India or Persia.
    What do you think @say_it_slowly

upload_2020-2-15_9-12-55.png

CatOphelia likes this.
  15. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

IMG_0323.JPG
    Here is another soldier/guard and another castle/temple, which by the way does not resemble oriental architecture, if I may say so.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

17. say_it_slowly

I went through the two volumes by Coysh & Henrywood and the book by Snyder with various Staffordshire patterns without seeing yours based on the first photos. It doesn't mean it wasn't there because sometimes the pattern used on smaller pieces may be different than the pattern used on larger pieces in the same set.

I tried to focus on the shape of building, the hats on the figures and what appear to be coconut palms. I must admit the whole thing looks rather Dr. Seuss-ian.

clutteredcloset49 and CatOphelia like this.
  18. CatOphelia

CatOphelia New Member

Thank you so much for all the energy you put into this! may I ask, "Dr. Seuss-ian" is the author of prints/ pottery?

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Dr. Seuss - How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Horton Hears A Who, The Cat in the Hat. You must know those books, right? He did the illustrations too.

CatOphelia likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

The Dr Seuss of children's books:)

CatOphelia and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted