Apostle spoons?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Frank, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I pulled these out of storage today, and gave them a closer look. When she gave them to me, Grandma said they were apostle spoons. I don't know the country of origin, but hopefully someone here can identify the marks, and tell me an approximate age.

They're not marked as "sterling", but I believe they are silver. Is it possible they predate the use of the sterling stamp?

The two larger spoons measure approximately 4 1/4 inches and the smaller one is a shade over 3 1/2 inches.

The two larger ones have a design on the back of the bowl (which give the inside of the bowl a smooth but irregular surface, and both have two tiny stamped marks that slighty overlap. One of these marks seems to be the image of a key.

The smaller spoon doesn't have a design on the bowl, but does have multiple marks on the back, including the same key seen on the other two.

P1210689.JPG P1210691.JPG P1210692.JPG P1210700.JPG P1210696.JPG P1210710.JPG P1210709.JPG P1210713.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

So, obviously they don't pre-date the sterling stamp. If I'm reading this correctly, a sword stamp was used 1814 - 1905 indicates .833 fineness, while the key overstamp (in use from 1853 - 1953) indicates it was intended for export. This also narrows the time frame to 1853 - 1905. The sword and key are present (very very small) on the smaller spoon, but it also sports these marks that I'm not having any luck with.

P1210709.JPG

4. Bakersgma

The one on the right next to the bottom of the handle - looks like a rampant lion, which I am sure you will find on the 925 site Dutch marks page with the others. Look at section C on the right side.

On the opposite side of the end of the handle is a 2 letter maker's mark that is only partially visible.

Frank likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thanks again! I was hesitant to say that was a rampant lion or not. The letters look like V R, but I can't figure out the one that looks like a potted plant!

I did find a virtually identical spoon on Etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/749151293/old-antique-dutch-silver-apostle-spoon

(claimed to be 18th century, which I seriously doubt) with a similar mark.

And a similar set, but with the same "potted plant" mark on Worthpoint

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-dutch-silver-apostle-spoons-453425601

Not a member of Worthpoint, so I couldn't see the sold price.

6. Bakersgma

If you post a "Worthpoint Help Needed" thread with a link to your spoons, a WP member will be along to help.

Frank likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The large stamps are Dutch pseudo-marks, your spoons, as well as those linked, were produced by Frisian maker Rinze Jans Spaanstra (working 1864-96).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    Frank, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thank you, Dragonfly Wink and Bakersgma!

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

The set of 6 sold for a little over 32.26gpb on June 25, 2013, about 42.30usd. Silver was at $19.63 that day, down from over $30 in Jan. 2013.

Sterling Silver was a little over $22 per ounce today, so the value hasn't changed much, although I don't know if they sold for collector value or scrap. Doesn't matter, as I'm not planning to sell them, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted