Featured Apple Coral???...necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Apr 5, 2020.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well these days!!! I myself am trying to get my mojo back and get some things listed. I have been lurking here but not doing much besides that. Anyway, I am wondering if you can help me decide whether these beads may actually be apple coral or not? The vinegar test does bring tiny bubbles to the surface of the beads. It is 24” long (including the clasp) and weighs 3 ounces (87.4 grams). What do you all think? FD372D18-806A-4353-BEF1-321649F99D8E.jpeg IMG_5251.JPG IMG_5252.JPG IMG_5253.JPG IMG_5254.JPG

judy, patd8643, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sponge coral for sure. It's the color they call apple, and I think that's generally dye. So... apple coral or close enough. It was a popular material in the 80s.

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

So I'll be okay if I call it apple coral? I tend to get bogged down in the details of description, don't want anyone to come back with a 'item not as described' complaint...just one of the reasons I still have a pile of stuff to move...

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

Everyone else does, including me. The metal all looks like costume, about right for apple coral. It wasn't respected and is usually found with costume materials.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's a pretty necklace. I hope it does well for you!

judy and wenna like this.
  6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

It is pretty (I love the color of it). But I am afraid it will need to be restrung. After looking it over more closely I found that the number of beads is not the same on both sides of the central one (it's off by 2 beads). I have a feeling it's been restrung already (I would get rid of the gold tone spacers..what do you think?).

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. evelyb30

I probably would, and would hand knot them into the bargain. Then again I'm used to doing it.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the spacers. But there may be many who don't. Sorry to hear about the number of beads being different. If you removed the spacers, and also figured out which two beads to remove, would it still be long enough to wear?

And of course, listen to somebody who sells a lot of jewelry, like @evelyb30 !

judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

If it's going to get too short, you could replace the gold-ish spacers with small glass ones, or just metal beads in better shape.

10. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hmmm, would probably lose about 3" (it is currently 24"). Hand knotting would retain some of that length. Maybe I need to break down and start some practicing. I do have that tool that is supposed to help; I just haven't tried it yet. Will keep you updated...if I get anywhere with it :angelic:. Thanks again!

judy likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off, excellent photos. :)

You could consider selling with the disclaimer that it may need to be restrung. If you are good at restringing and it is easy for you, that's another matter. My motto is to do whatever is easiest if it means actually getting something listed.

Also, you never know, a chance someone may just want the beads, etc.

Pretty color!

judy, Figtree3, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  12. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

The spacers look the same to me! I better up my prescription Very pretty

Draft saved Draft deleted