Aquamarine Glass Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any help with age, country of origin and maker?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

I thought immediately of a newer pickle container trying to look old. Then I started to question myself. This Brussels Thing has me too concerned. I am not sure if it is new or an original. Where is Skeezix, he would know for sure?
    greg

3. kardinalisimo

I have the same doubts, newer or older. I am not sure if that pontil scar with the round depression can tell us something.
    By the way, the piece is very lightweighted.

4. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

My first thought was Wheaton bottles, but then again this looks older, I do not know then if you think your bottle is light? I think old bottles = heavy bottles???

5. kardinalisimo

I think you are right about older bottles being heavier but this one is too light even for a newer piece. About 9" tall and just 7.8 ounces.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is newer.
    Makes me think of flavored vinegar.

7. kardinalisimo

Any keywords for the decoration?

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I typed in gothic window vinegar bottle and came up with this site.
    Scroll down to Gothic Cathedral style.
    I didn't read any of it.

I have no idea if yours is the real deal or a later copy.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/food.htm

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

After I've had some coffee, I will go back and read that, Cluttered! It's not that I collect bottles, old or otherwise, but I do have several whose shapes or colors I find pleasing and repurposible. For instance, a cute little old Lavoris bottle contains Vermouth and lives next to the gin decanter on my drinks tray. It sports a lovely cut crystal top that just happened to fit perfectly! And I have a Bombay gin bottle in a bathroom which contains aftershave. (Love that color!)

10. kardinalisimo

Thanks a lot. Seems like even the old cathedral bottles don't fetch a lot unless rare shapes and colors other than aqua.
    Most of the bases I saw were with no pontil scars. I did find some with such but nothing with deep depression like mine. Also, most of them dont't have the two seams on the base.
    So, I don't know if it is a repro or older. The light weight does not seem to be a good sign.

11. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks mold blown for decorative after life on a window sill or more vinegar, I do not think of 1/2 a pound as being ling light for a non fermented contents.

12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It's a cathedral peppersauce bottle circa 1850. Absolutely right as rain.
    There's a good chance it was blown in South Jersey as the majority of these were.

Pontiled=pre 1860
    Nonpontiled=post 1860
    More or less.
    These are popular with civil war collectors/reenactors. Many are found in CW camp excavations.

It's a nice find, very popular with collectors.

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Good for you, kard!
    Don

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks, Skeezix I was pretty sure it was old and then started to question myself. I am glad that you still have all your marbles.:rolleyes:
    greg

15. 42Skeezix

Most of 'em anyway.

A close relative of the peppersauce bottle is the much larger cathedral pickle jar. Early (pre 1860) examples in rare molds and colors have sold for $50,000 +.

[​IMG]

A good peppersauce in rare mold and color can easily exceed 10,000. The highest peppersauce price I can recall was $32,000. Probably higher now.
    Unfortunately this example is neither a rare mold or color. The aqua is more or less standard bottle glass color from this period. The color comes from the little iron they couldn't cleanse from the raw material.
    Similar examples sell in the $50-$100 range.

16. kardinalisimo

Thanks 42skeezic.
    Is that type of base called " key mold" ?

17. 42Skeezix

Draft saved Draft deleted