Arabian Nights Entertainments publication circa 1892

Discussion in 'Books' started by JeffM333, Jun 8, 2020.

1. JeffM333

JeffM333 New Member

Hello -

I've been going through many old family items including some of the books. Usually I can find a little history and get a sense of value by just spending a few minutes online searching and perusing the various book sites. I could have missed it, but I haven't been able to find any examples of this particular book being listed or previously sold. I did find a few postings various places on the publisher (F. M. Lupton) and being able to approximately-date the book based on the address listed for the publisher in the book. (In this example my great grandfather signed it and it is dated Dec 25 1892 so that helps quite a bit :) )

Does anyone have any more clues to the history of this publisher or the rarity (or lack thereof) of this edition? The front cover has "Avon Edition" inscribed on it. I was able to find a handful of other pieces of classic literature printed by this publisher in this timeframe that have similar art and the "Avon Edition" printed on it. Anyone know what an "Avon Edition" is or the history of this publisher using the term?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    IMG_0549_medium.JPG IMG_0550_medium.JPG IMG_0551_medium.JPG IMG_0552_medium.JPG IMG_0553_medium.JPG

mmarco102 likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I imagine you have already found this:

http://www.henryaltemus.com/lupton/

(For those just starting this research, do scroll down to the account of Lupton's death.)

This will have far more value for you as having come from your great grandfather than it will to anyone else. Collectors want volumes in much better condition than this, without the underlinings of a previous owner who means nothing to them. It does not have illustrations a print dealer might remove. There are as many editions of the Nights as there are tales. My non-expert advice: hang on to it as a way of touching the past.

Ghopper1924, Fid and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  4. JeffM333

JeffM333 New Member

Excellent information - I had not seen that link you referenced, not sure how I missed it. This is exactly the kind of history I was interested in reading, thank you!

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  5. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Lupton was a reprinter of public domain material, not terribly high quality. Avon has a literary odor, probably because of Shakepeare's Avon connection, and would have sounded high-toned in the day.

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Literary odor." Love it! i.e. Smelled high falutin.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted