Arabic language gold marks

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Dec 3, 2018.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This same mark is on the ring in three places. The "diamonds" aren't, according to my tester, but the gold looks legit. The photo of the identical mark inside the ring was a blurry mess.

DSCF0438.JPG DSCF0439.JPG DSCF0440.JPG DSCF0442.JPG

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It says 18. VI, except rotate 180.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. evelyb30

Cool. It'll probably be melted. The design isn't that great, and with fake stones there's no point. The one I found it with is much better quality; the rocks are real.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The engraving around the white stones and the bead setting looks like it was done with a dull screwdriver.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Most of the time I hate to see things scrapped, but if the stones have little to no value, & you don't like the design, which looks to me like it would always be snagging on things, into the fire with it.

You didn't show any other marks that I could make out as of Egyptian origin, & that's the only country where I have any knowledge on the subject, but think their assaying is not that precise. Hopefully the 18 mark indicates a minimum fineness. Do you scrap with someone who would be honest with you if the gold tested as something higher than 18K? No doubt they would tell you if it's lower.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. evelyb30

They won't even know what those marks mean, odds on, so they'll have to test. I think it's mediocre design on a good day. The other one I found it with is much nicer and better made. More metal in the other one too.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

So you'll have to play dumb. :joyful:

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I see 710.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. evelyb30

I didn't. :) As for playing dumb, my mother taught me a bit of that.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Where? This one is the 18:

upload_2018-12-4_2-3-17.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I only see 18 as well.
    Since the mark takes centre stage, it is probably Egyptian. Other countries in the region usually mark on the inside or back.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I just noticed a little squiggle over the 18. So yes Egyptian, with a town mark, looks like it could be Cairo.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Think it could be Keneh. This is a Keneh mark on a silver item:

800 Keneh.png

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

This gold squiggle looks like it is raised a little on the left though, not the right.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That's the upside down dipstick, it will read OIL if you turn it upright :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. Bronwen

Cairo has all those loops & dots that tend to turn into blobs, leaving something that looks like a snake that has swallowed some large rocks. I grant the mark on the ring is not a perfect match for the Keneh example shown, but the line looks too clean for Cairo. Cairo often looks like this.

upload_2018-12-4_6-0-1.png

I remember Beni Suef as having a less busy mark than Cairo but don't have an example.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I see VI. - the fullstop is a zero. furthermore the numerals, numbers etc. are written and read from left to right and not like the rest.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

upload_2018-12-4_12-20-1.jpeg

Beni Suef is pretty wavy. Some Cairo marks are very sloppy, and the dots have vanished. Old punches probably.
    But it is going to be scrapped....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. evelyb30

Most likely. It only has the 18 mark and not the rest, and it's ugly. and the stones are fake. All it has going for it is the metal weight.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bronwen

It's very odd. Have not seen other Egyptian jewellery remotely like it. Maybe because I just know what turns up on eBay, & most of that is tourist souvenir stuff, most of which I assume you wouldn't be caught dead wearing if you were Egyptian. (Oh! Now I understand why sellers keep characterizing it as Egyptian Revival.) Think the world of personal adornment will get on just fine without it.
    Thanks AJ. Maybe I was thinking of Alexandria. The mark I see most often on pieces that came back to the US & UK is for 12K.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted