Arabic (Persian?) Mansukript

Discussion in 'Books' started by SSlava, Sep 11, 2018.

1. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

In what language is it written? Can anybody read))?
    Is there any date?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

SSlava, no photos again.:D:)

Christmasjoy and SSlava like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I don't know the language, but the script is Arabic. Arabic script is used in numerous countries from Morocco in the west to parts of the Philppines in the east.
    Could you show us close ups of the front cover?

Christmasjoy, judy and SSlava like this.
  4. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

I can, but the cover is not original (records in the fields are cut, so the book was intertwined several times).

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

The paper is laid(vergé), but not of European origin (a rare vergé, another paper structure, perhaps, silk?) Paper of Asian origin. Without watermarks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Any Jewelry

It looks like inlay has been cut out, like there were metal plaques in there.
    The style of the cover and the shapes where the inlay has been, make me think culturally Persian. Which could be Persia/Iran, but also parts of Central Asia. I don't think Indo-Persian (India-Pakistan), but Iran or Central Asia.

8. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, the letters IIЛ above the line can mean 1108, if this is the year, then 1697 is obtained.

Although it may mean 118)). I do not know how to read correctly)).
    But these letters are definitely similar to numbers, and read from the left to the right (although when the text is read from right to left).

But maybe I confused something most likely, this means something else, and I read it wrong)).

And I was told, this text over the seal means fatwa (فتوى), that is, an indication of an Islamic theologian on some issue, which he assured with his seal.
    The other part of the book is devoted to Islamic law.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Too bad someone trimmed the pages so much that they took part of the text.

10. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, European books are better preserved, I saw many books from Europe 17-18 centuries in the original bindings (cover)))?

I had a book of 1613, almost like a new one.

If you take Russian books of the 17th century, it is very difficult to find books in original bindings(cover), they have been changed many times.

This book, too, at least once replaced the binding(cover), but, perhaps more times.

After each replacement of the binding(cover), uneven borders of the sheets are usually cut. Therefore, the records on the edges of the sheets are increasingly clipped.

Draft saved Draft deleted