Architectural Forum magazines

Discussion in 'Books' started by Alice Wilson, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Alice Wilson

Alice Wilson New Member

Hello from New Zealand!

I have a big stack of Architectural Forum magazines from the '30s and early '40s, including the January 1938 issue designed by Frank Lloyd Wright which I believe is sought after. They are ex the collection of the NZ Institute of Architects. They donated them to a library I used to work at, but the library had no use for them and put them all out on the free table, where I scooped them all up. They are in pretty good condition, with many issues including original subscription inserts and such.

Trouble is I've been lugging them around with me for ten years, knowing they have value but with no idea how to sell them or what to do with them? Any advice about what they might be worth and how to go about selling them?

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Alice!

Book people may be able to help. Have you checked eBay's Sold Listings? It's not the greatest reality check, but it's a start. I just looked up the '38 FLW issue and a couple of them have sold in the neighborhood of $75 USD. I don't see any for sale, currently either.

I don't know if selling these ala carte makes the most sense. I would assume there are some garden variety issues that aren't worth much mixed in with the goods.

Maybe peruse the Sold listings using Architectural Forum magazine, and then sort by highest price to see what pops up.

Others will have better ideas than I.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting that they don't seem to be much sought after. The issues associated with Frank Lloyd Wright do seem to have some value. If they were mine, I'd likely sell those individually and lot the rest. But challenge I see is selling magazines from New Zealand as shipping cost may be prohibitive for overseas buyers.

Debora

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

As a person who would like to save and preserve it all, this is a discouraging thread. :(

It's probably all available digitally, but to my mind that's a very short sighted approach.

If you are selling through eBay, be certain to research shipping options beyond the Global Shipping Program.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted