Featured Are Any of These Glass Paperweights "Special"?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, May 21, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I love paperweights and always buy them, but seldom care who made them until I get them home. Their loveliness blinds me! Are any of these anything special? I usually place them in my B&M space and only put them on line if they would have wider appeal there. The first 2 are huge, 4" across. Then there's a candle holder and the one on the left is an apple with a teapot spout and handle and a really pretty flower inside. TY!

DSCF5625.jpg DSCF5629.jpg DSCF5630.jpg DSCF5631.jpg DSCF5632.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can you post pics of the bottoms ? Offhand , they look Chinese , but that teapot one is too cute .

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the 2 in the back look like Selkirk. Sometimes you need to hold them in the right light/angle to see the engraved marks

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of the bases. They are all ground flat. Hope you can see. I looked very carefully for any signatures but couldn't find any. cxgirl, the teapot/apple has a really nice flower embedded in the center.

DSCF5633.jpg

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

After seeing the bases, I don't think the one with the blue base is Selkirk, but still think the green base one is. Is the base on that one clear? Looks cloudy/dull but maybe that is just the angle of the photo. I have some catalogues here somewhere, I'll see if I can find them tomorrow and see if it is in there. I think the other 2 are like johnny says, new and made in China
    @janettekay & @Ownedbybear collect paperweights,maybe they will have a look and let you know

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The bottom of the green paperweight is not real shiney, but not terribly dull either. Kind of in between. Oh dear, what a dumb answer! I'll go look at Selkirk weights and see what their bases look like.

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had all of those at one time or another. All modern Chinese, and definitely not Selkirk. Nicely done - some makers seem to have moved on from that sort of rough base to an almost polished base, but it can feel a bit slippery.

Wanttoknow, lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I thought Selkirk but wasn't sure with the base, thanks for looking bear:)

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome!

lauragarnet, johnnycb09 and cxgirl like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for looking in and providing the info. I will admit that I am surprised that these are Chinese (well, at least the 2 big ones). The last time I knowingly purchased Chinese PWs, they were those kind that had a fish embedded in them to look like a fish bowl, LOL! These are quite nice and will sell well in my B&M space.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted