Are Original Boxes For Vintage Rookwood Pottery Rare?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Was at an estate auction with some 1950's Rookwood Pottery still in the original boxes along with all the original paperwork and packaging. I was wondering if this was rare and if there was any added value in having this.

Thanks,
    Joe2007

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Joe,

i would think any original boxes/paperwork would add value. I'm not sure how rare though. Rookwood isnt something I look for.

judy, komokwa and Joe2007 like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

JMHO but I think having the original box is a bit overrated. They take an incredible amount of space to store and some collectors are re-evaluating the need to keep them and are selling or discarding the boxes. I'm at that point myself. I've already discarded all my Fenton boxes and Swarovski may be next. If there is something about the graphics on the box that are intriguing it will add value but most potteries weren't known for that. Paperwork may help value if it provides helpful information regarding the item like shape #, date, etc. and it's a lot easier to store - but most of that information for Rookwood is already on the bottom. Finally, a common item with an original box stands a better chance of selling than an item with no box but does not necessarily demand much of a premium.
    Don

judy, Joe2007 and SBSVC like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

think Mint In Box...or NOS....when selling......couldn't hurt !!

judy and Joe2007 like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to flatten the boxes for storage but gave up. I now use all my Tiffany boxes for Christmas decorations.
    greg

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I didn't think my answer above completely through (which is happening more and more nowadays, sorry!). I was thinking of my experience as a collector rather than as a seller. As a seller original boxes can be quite helpful. It's really easy to ship a box already in an original factory box. I can just choose a larger box and pop the original box inside (with extra padding around the original box). Waterford especially is so much easier to ship this way. Don't use newspaper for the padding unless you wrap the original box in plastic. You don't want the newsprint to transfer to the original box. And my friend, komokwa, is right - you do get points for being able to list NOS (new old stock) or Mint in Box when selling. Thanks for the catch komokwa.

And I also do save some boxes as a collector. If the item is going to most of its time stored I do keep the box. I've got a boatload of Jim Shore santas that only see the light of day around Christmas. Since a lot of Jim Shore tends to be seasonal the original boxes do add value. They are so much easier to store in the original boxes, although the deteriorating styrofoam around some of the items will keep your carpet looking like Christmas for quite some time after the holiday is over.
    Don

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey Don !
    That put a smile on my face !
    Thanks...Pal !!!

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have most of my Swarovski boxes and the new ones that are added at usually Christmas are added to the totes that are stored in the eaves of the attic in my garage. Very little is stored up there anyways because you have to access it by a pull down staircase & I usually need help. If the boys do not want them it is their problem to deal with someday. :p:p:D:D

dgbjwc and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted