Featured Are There Antique Wood Collectors Here That Can Help Me Id An Antique Wooden Marquetry Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 12, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

Hey everyone.
    How are you all doing? I hope everyone is doing well.

I saw an antique box on ebay and really liked it. I bought it and am waiting for it to arrive. I know absolutely next to nothing about vintage or antique wooden boxes. What I liked about it was the little knob on the front and the pretty little clover-like flowers with vines on the top. It does have a crack in the top, but I will live with it even though I am not thrilled about it. Is that marquetry on the top? I don't know if this is the correct term for the designs on the top.

My guess is it looks like it might be English or Irish. I could be completely wrong so please correct me. Does anybody know what kind of box it is? Is it a jewelry box of some sort? It measures approximately 2.5” tall by 3.5” in depth and 5.5” wide according to the seller. It is missing it's key, but I will carve my own out with my dremel. I have a baggy filled with old keys and in the past I have been able to mess around with my dremel to get them to fit in some old box locks and work.

My questions are:

How old is it?
    What country of origin?
    What kind of design is it?
    Is it a jewelry box? Trinket Box?
    What kind of wood is it?

Any other interesting info would be greatly appreciated...

Here are the seller's pictures. They are not very good, but they are all I have until it arrives. Thanks in advance for your information.
    BOX CLOVERS 1.jpg BOX CLOVERS 2.jpg BOX CLOVERS 3.jpg BOX CLOVERS 4.jpg
    BOX CLOVERS 5.jpg BOX CLOVERS 6.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice box
    with the extra wood slats on the inside I'd say.....keepsake...jewelry box....missing a shelf..

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How sweet, I can see how you fell in love. Looks like there might have been a removable tray. Gent's stud box, perhaps? What do you make of the initials?

4. Bronwen

Sniped by komo. :):kiss:

5. Bronwen

And yes, marquetry is the right word.

6. SYNCHRONCITY

Wow! You are great! Thanks! I was wondering if a tray went in there. Too bad it is missing.

7. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks Bronwen. I think the initials are A K, but I could be wrong. Sometimes it's hard to make out old monograms.

8. komokwa

one day it's you first the next day it's me......it happens..!
    at least we concur !!!!

9. komokwa

I like AK...

10. Bronwen

For me it's always. I can see the A. The other one, she says, scratching her head...

11. SYNCHRONCITY

:happy:

12. SYNCHRONCITY

The second letter does have me scratching my noggin too. Maybe it is an R? I am looking up old fashioned monogram letters right now. I will be entering the Google rabbit hole in a minute where I will spend hours looking and end up saying how did I waste 4 hours of my life? :D lol.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. komokwa

upload_2020-5-12_0-29-4.jpeg
    K ring...throwing a similar vibe....

14. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I'm thinking satinwood for the inlays.

15. SYNCHRONCITY

Now I want that ring too! It is a beauty! That looks a lot like the initial on the box. You are awesome. Thanks again.

16. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks for that tip. I'm going to look up satinwood right now. I love learning new things.

komokwa, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. komokwa

upload_2020-5-12_0-43-36.jpeg

a little old english, gothic, boxy.... stylized..... but it's a k...

18. SYNCHRONCITY

Awesome! I like that it is a "K". My last name starts with a "K" :joyful:.

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Killarney ware maybe?

20. SYNCHRONCITY

Hi and thanks for your comment. Before I came here and posted, I typed in antique clover marquetry box. I saw some other boxes that had clover like flowers on them and I saw some of the boxes being called "Killarney Ware". I never heard of Killarney style wood before.

I was wondering if the clovers on it might mean it was Irish by some chance? I was going to ask if anyone here thought it could be Killarney Ware, but thought maybe I might be wrong about the clovers and perhaps they could be some other kind of flower. I'm glad you mentioned this.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Christmasjoy, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted