Featured Are these beads what I think they are?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 18, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hunting for some beads in my stash to repair another necklace I came across these beads that I obviously acquired and didn't know what they were made of. Now I've learned a little more I see lines and some cross hatching.
    I'm presuming these are the 'I' word of which we cannot speak :bag:. Obviously complete sale ban in U.K. but I'd like to restring appropriately. Were they traditionally strung with other beads or just on their own? Does this clasp date them?. Bit of plastic screw is loose so I don't know if that's original. Largest beads c15mm.
    They are quite discoloured and need a wash. Dare I wash them quickly with a bit of dish soap or will I end up with damaged beads in eternal damnation as the Internet says I will?!.
    Thanks for any help :)
    IMG_6062.JPG IMG_6061.JPG IMG_6060.JPG IMG_6059.JPG IMG_6067.JPG IMG_6066.JPG IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6064.JPG IMG_6063.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Plastic clasp.
    upload_2020-5-18_13-20-26.png

Probably sold in the 1980s.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, they're what you think they are, even the barrel clasp. My impression is that I have seen this 'natural material' (one of the euphemisms being used) when used as beads, more often than not strung without beads of any other material. I have a MOP necklace I've shown here before that is basically meant to imitate this.
    MOP beads.jpg

kyratango, Xristina and KSW like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

Sorry, I didn't read your description.
    Yes to ivory.
    Yes wash them, why wouldn't you be able to? Soap and water should be just fine. Rinse thoroughly, pat dry and leave to air dry all the way.

5. Bronwen

They can be gently washed. Just don't leave them soaking for any length of time & give them the chance to air dry thoroughly.

6. clutteredcloset49

Oh and no they were not strung with other beads originally.

kyratango, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

@Bronwen
    Are you showing MOP beads? I believe what K has are ivory.

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So the plastic in the barrel clasp- is that likely original?. As the plastic screw looks much more modern than the beads but I don't really know how ivory ages as presumably it's dependent on all sorts of environmental influences?. Were Ivory beads still being produced like this in the 80s?:(

kyratango likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

Yes, I was selling in the costume jewelry dept in the 1980s and we were selling graduated beads of ivory, onyx, lapis, rose quartz etc.

If it was an old clasp the screw in part would have also been ivory not plastic as you show.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's shocking it was so accessible such a short time ago.

kyratango likes this.
  12. Bronwen

In the US? I remember the first ban going into effect in the late 1970s didn't it?

The clasp surprised me. I was expecting an all plastic barrel clasp like the one on the MOP necklace of mine, which has yellowed enough not to stand out. What I'm seeing here is that the outer, barrel part is also the substance that shall not be named while the inner threaded part of the male end is fairly new looking plastic. @KSW Is the inside of the female side also plastic? That plastic screw looks like a fix to me. The original piece may have become too worn to hold reliably anymore.

upload_2020-5-18_18-29-7.png
    upload_2020-5-18_18-31-53.png

kyratango likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

I thought of that too. Except how would you get the correct proportion to fit the female part.
    That looks machine made.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

The 2 parts could have withstood a bit of drilling out if needed, as long as not too much material was removed. I've never seen this before.

Ivory tends to yellow over time, especially if it's handled, the way jewellery items are. You can see how your beads have stayed whiter where they abutted each other (must not have been knotted to look like that) & high points are yellower. This is not considered a blemish. If you look at the examples, you'll see how the yellowing is variable:

https://www.pinterest.com/cameotimescom/ivory-cameos-reliefs/

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I have just retired to bed now but I will have a look in the morning. That's sort of what I was trying to say in OP about the screw being slightly loose and not being sure it was original. You can buy that threaded plastic bar from a home improvement type store and it would be an easy fix if the original fell out.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

Good morning. When you go back to it, I have a clasp question: with that plastic piece, does it now actually screw together or do you just push the plastic straight in & it holds by pressure & friction? Probably an illusion, but threaded bit looks a little too large to fit in other side. If you're restoring it & the only problem with the clasp is that the plastic seems loose, some glue should fix that. The threaded part would always have had to have been a separate piece inserted after bead cord threaded through the bottom unless there was a hole through it.

kyratango likes this.
  17. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I have a similar necklace.
    The beads are all strung together, no other beads or spacers. I think your beads would be strung the same way.
    The screw closure is carved from the "material", not plastic like yours, @KSW.

My strand is still pretty white. Maybe it wasn't handled or worn much? Because it is only 16" long, I was thinking the style was more of a choker look, possibly 1950s-60s

I suspect your strand is old, based on the darkened color from wear and handling over many years. In spite of the plastic screw, I still think your necklace is vintage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, kyratango and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow Stracci, those are pristine!. Beautiful.

stracci and kyratango like this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

Discoloration could be from perfumes and/or sweat.
    Wouldn't take all that long to stain if worn a lot.

20. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. I wore it a while last night after posting the photos. It's warm here, and it was sticking to my neck. I thought the same thing!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted