Featured ARE THESE BLUE GLASS BUTTONS W/ METAL EAGLE ESCUTCHEONS MILITARY??

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by fortheloveofcollectibles, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Hi all! I am an avid button collector, but have never seen anything like these particular buttons! Would love any history ya'll may know about them!
    20210112_190527.jpg 20210112_211642.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe @DragonflyWink knows, she collects buttons too and is a fount of knowledge.:)

judy, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

The Eagle looks French to me ? lovely buttons :) if they are Military they must be of ceremonial dress. Im ex army and you kind of find all things military are made "soldier proof" as squaddies are not the most gentle of creatures !

4. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Capture.JPG Napoleonic French Eagle, maybe the blue representing something nautical ?

judy, gmcculloh, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or 'bleu royale', royal blue.

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great buttons-be nice if they were Napoleonic.
    By the way fortheloveofcollectibles- has the portrait (of you) been photo shopped or is it an actual pastel or some other hand-rendered media ?

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Have you tried google lens? I have collected and sold military buttons but have never come across those even in my books. There have been periods of time when military style buttons were popular for women's clothing. It would be neat if they were military.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bosko - the OP has not been back since Feb 2021. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for an answer to your question. ;)

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. bosko69

Thanks Bakers-no idea how this post popped-up.

judy likes this.
  10. Hi there . I've never been very photogenic & I avoid having my picture taken (as much as possible), but this was one of the few that I actually liked of myself. It is several years old ☺️ & was taken w/ an older phone camera, but if I recall correctly, it's not modified in any way.

In regard to the buttons, I'm still on the hunt for solid info about them!

judy likes this.
  11. I do hope they're military! Still attempting to identify them! My husband unexpectedly died in 10/21, so my collecting habits & any related research was put on the back burner for a while. Is Google lens a reverse image search engine?

12. Hi, I'm back (finally)~lol .

judy likes this.
  13. I was thinking ceremonial, as well. As I mentioned in another comment, I had to put my research on hold for quite a while, but I'm back at it, as we speak! I'll be sure to add an update, if I ever manage to get a positive i.d. on them
    . Thanks a bunch for your help!

judy likes this.
  14. Thanks a bunch!

judy likes this.
  15. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Perhaps for something like an officers dinner jacket or something similar. I couldn't say that they were of the Napoleonic era, but I would say, almost certainly French.

105 Infantry Eagle..jpg

judy likes this.
  16. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Possibly diplomatic service buttons?

judy likes this.
  17. bosko69

The Gilt Eagle (above) is one of the two eagle standards captured at the Battle of Waterloo. A French Regiment’s eagle, personally given by Napoleon, was mounted on top of its standard,& represented the honor & pride of the soldiers who fought under it. For the enemy to capture an eagle was a terrible blow to the French Army.
    I do not beleive an original Roman Eagle Standard has ever been archaeologically recovered.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry for your loss !!!

your photo is fine ;)

19. bosko69

Yes-condolences.

Draft saved Draft deleted