Are these busts the same?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gatoblanconz, May 6, 2020.

1. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

Edit: Pictures attached in posts below.

https://www.seidenbergantiques.com/large-english-parian-bust-of-tom-moore-circa-1880.html

I just bought a bust i believe to be the same as in the link above undamaged except for missing the plinth/pedestal. At the bottom of mine you can see where the plinth was attached you can see the circle and a little rough knob of porcelain, presumably the remains of the plinth.

Here is mine without the plinth http://imgur.com/gallery/q7HpU8C
    http://imgur.com/gallery/ViPlCnn
    http://imgur.com/gallery/yJNaWeI
    http://imgur.com/gallery/P1ef4rN

My girlfriend says they are different. She thinks different head shape. However every single curl of hair and wrinkle in the shirt seems to be exactly the same Can you spot evidence for a definite mismatch?

Also any information about mine would be really helpful. Happy to post more pictures.

Pictures attached in posts below.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hopefully , in the fullness of time, you can post photo's here, so that we can better help you !! :happy::happy:

kyratango and Gatoblanconz like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I agree with your girlfriend - not the same.

You'll get more responses if you actually post the pictures on this thread. Most people aren't going to open links posted by a new member. Sorry, just the way we are getting too suspicious of cyber-viruses.

4. Gatoblanconz

How about this IMG_20200507_123032_compress73.jpg Screenshot_2020-05-05-11-16-47-873_com.android.chrome.png

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. Gatoblanconz

I have uploaded the photos. What can you tell me about this piece if it's not the same as the one for sale. Thanks

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I played with the lighting so yours isn't so stark.
    I think the difference we are seeing might be attributed to lighting and angle of the picture. Also different camera lens can distort.
    The museum would have used a high quality camera and good lighting.
    The only thing that I see that is different are the eyes, which might be attributed to the angle you took your picture at.

I can see the same shape of curls, the furrow in the forehead, the eyebrow on the right has a slight arch, the lines under the eyes, cleft in the chin, folds in the clothing all appear to match.

The face on yours is a little narrower, which could be caused by the lens aperture of the camera in your phone.
    The iris of the eyes are at a different angle. Which may be lighting and the angle at which you took the picture.

I'd say yes they are the same.

Any marks at all on the back or base of yours?

upload_2020-5-6_22-9-2.png upload_2020-5-6_22-9-36.png

7. Gatoblanconz

Thank you for your help. Yes I cannot find any difference in the detail at all except for a very very small chip in the bottom of the right shirt collar (near the tip).
    Here is the back. the picture I posted of it is from an advertisement and they do not have a photo of the back but they say that it says Tom Moore on the back. The link to their advertisement is in my first post. They are selling theirs for 7500 US dollars in an upmarket antique shop in Manhattan.
    The only other information I can find is that Robinson and leadbeater made a bust of Thomas More and that features in page 230 plate 752a of a book by prof Tom Mole called 'What do Victorians made of romanticism'. But I do not have a copy of that book to have a look at the picture. It might be different. I have emailed Professor Mole. I also emailed the Manhattan antique store to ask for more photographs of theirs.
    IMG_20200506_191949.jpg IMG_20200505_092756.jpg

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

9. Gatoblanconz

What are people's views about whether the one for sale in Manhattan is actually worth 7 1/2 thousand dollars? and how much less is mine worth missing a socle?
    Thanks

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Both are same guy; neither is Thomas More. Surprised Seidenberg does not attribute a maker.

Any Jewelry and Gatoblanconz like this.
  11. Gatoblanconz

Mine says Tom Moore on the back and so does theirs. Please refer photo above. although I haven't seen the back of theirs.
    from what I can find from googling some of these various parian busts don't have a maker mark but are attributed to Copeland at least the Copeland busts (but different people) seemed to have the same socle.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-5-7_3-32-27.jpeg upload_2020-5-7_3-33-3.png

same wardrobe ....

sabre123 and Gatoblanconz like this.
  13. Gatoblanconz

I think that's possibly the image this came from look at the hair. And if you look at the photo of my one, which photigraphs as having a narrower face, it looks more like this painting.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's not this Thomas More, author of Utopia:

[​IMG]

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Not the same !! ... Joy.

16. Gatoblanconz

which parts are different I can't find any detail on one that's not on the other. They do seem to be different material though

17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Shape of the face different... Inner shirt front very different, one is very wrinkly, yours is smooth ... Faces are different regarding wrinkles, and bags under the eyes ... The jacket front on yours is much smoother than the other one ... The mouths are different, one is more turned down than the other ... The eyebrows on the "sold" bust have a lot more 'expression' in them ... Joy.

18. Gatoblanconz

Mine has all of those features I just can't get them to come out easily in a photograph have a look at this for example. There's the wrinkles on the neck tie and the bags under the eyes IMG_20200507_184349.jpg IMG_20200507_180253.jpg

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think they could be the same but from this angle your does look narrower to me. I agree about the angle, yours seems to have harsher lighting and seems to be looking up at the bust a bit, the other is from more straight on or slightly down. If from the same angle it might be clearer.

upload_2020-5-7_8-19-7.png upload_2020-5-7_8-27-25.png

kyratango likes this.
  20. Gatoblanconz

I cannot seem to replicate the angle. I also cannot take a photo with my phone that makes the face appear as plump as theirs.
    However I cannot find any feature or detail in their one that isnt also in my one.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted