Featured Are these ceramic?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nancy Neal, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

angel1.jpg These are lightweight, Bottom looks like wood, but does not feel like wood, also does feel as heavy as ceramic, I have had them for about 5 years and was told probably Italian but to me they look more like Mexican, Dug them out again today, Nicely done and undamaged are 13 inches tall. Any insights appreciated. T.I.A angelsface.jpg angels hands.jpg angels.jpg angels btm.jpg angel3.jpg angels btm.jpg angel1.jpg angel1.jpg angels btm.jpg angel3.jpg angels btm.jpg angels.jpg angels hands.jpg angelsface.jpg

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like painted gesso on wood to my untrained eye.

Jivvy, UncleChuckTX, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Could they be some sort of papier-mâché - like the stuff used in Italy to make all those Florentine ("tole") trays, tables, etc?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are lovely, Nancy. They look very northern Italian to me, and gesso on wood as Mansons said. Probably from South Tyrole in northern Italy, which has a more Austrian culture. Which is why the pedestals look Austrian rather than Mediterranean.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVELY !!! ... Joy. :)

judy likes this.
  6. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

You nailed it @Any Jewelry and @Mansons2005. Found some very similar but without base,including one on Ruby Lane, Well I was going to ask 200 dollars for pr,but think I will up the ante,Seller told me when I bought them about 5 years ago they were about 60 yrs old, according to note I tied on one, Any ideas on that age frsame, Again thank you both so much

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted