Are these fake Roseville?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Feb 18, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_2371.jpg IMG_2380.jpg IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2382.jpg
    Hi, I was yelled at that these were fake. I had no idea that they faked Roseville. I tried looking up what made the other person think/say they wefake and could not come up with why these were. Please help me with identifying what makes them fake or not and is there a market for faux Roseville? Any help is very much appreciated Thank you

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

It's the "white rose" pattern and Roseville didn't make it in that color blue and there are other subtle differences in the notches, flowers and handles.
    Fake on the left, real on the right.
    fake.real.jpg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, komokwa, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  4. gauntlettgems

The real one is beautiful! thank goodness these were not expensive! Thank you very much Am I allowed to sell them as reproductions?

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not with a fake mark on the bottom. I'd take a hammer to them.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. gauntlettgems

Awww I just can't do it lol

judy likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not on ebay if that is where you are selling.

Thing is if you sell out of a space and label them correctly as copies, someone is apt to buy them and turn around and sell them as the real thing.

Do you like them? Keep them and use them.
    Or the next time you need to give flowers, use one as part of the gift. Hopefully the person being gifted will be someone you can explain what the vase really is.

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are currently 60 listings for Roseville Reproductions, and 16 sold listings. If there's a rule, people are skating by it. Of course, there are tons of fakes listed as authentic as well.

9. gauntlettgems

I saw those yesterday :(

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Yes they are modern reproductions. Not much of a market when the real pieces are not selling for much these days. Most reproductions don't include "USA" in the mark since they are produced overseas. The glazing also should be a giveaway since there isn't the variation/blending in the colors that is seen on legit pieces.

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. gauntlettgems

Thank you all very much I read up a little on what made these fake but did not understand a lot of the article They referenced more on the R on the bottom, etc.

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

These easiest way to tell is what Joe2007 mentioned. I don't care how it's marked - if the glaze doesn't look right I don't even bother to turn it over.
    Don

Joe2007 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. gauntlettgems

Thank you I have WAY more to learn before I know the glazes lol Thank you everyone

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's why I'm not a Pottie...when trying to figure it out...I just glaze over !
    :playful::playful::playful::wideyed::wideyed:

gauntlettgems likes this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Ouch!:nurse::woot:
    Don

gauntlettgems likes this.
  16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Feel free to post photos of items you have questions about here before you list on the bay.

The best way to learn is to examine and handle a bunch of authentic pieces in person. Then you will be able to spot the reproductions from ten feet away.

dgbjwc likes this.
  17. gauntlettgems

I have not handled very much Roseville so I need to feel a bunch up ;)

Joe2007 likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Another thing that might help would be a get one of the Huxford books on Roseville that focuses on the various lines with color photographs of many shapes in each line. You'd at least get a sense of what colors they used.

gauntlettgems and Joe2007 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted