Are these milk glass? And any idea of the age?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Michelle Collins, May 28, 2019.

1. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

I posted these earrings a last week ago or so, I cant find the thread it was on patent questions. These are very heavy, I have held them up to the light and light passes through but can not see through. Not sure if they are milk glass or just glass? Not sure about the metal either. No marks not magnetic. I would assume if the clasp was marked if they were sliver that would be marked too.

2019-05-28-10-08-31-511.jpg 2019-05-28-10-10-01-067.jpg 2019-05-21-22-42-18-439.jpg 2019-05-21-22-54-37-634.jpg 2019-05-21-22-41-34-134.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Michelle Collins like this.
  3. Michelle Collins

SBSVC likes this.
  4. Michelle Collins

Another pic of the back. They have dirt on them need to be cleaned. 2019-05-28-13-14-37-779.jpg

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if these were sterling. Costume through and through, whether regular glass or milk glass really won't impact value. The pat pend is probably on the mechanics of the closure. 1950s or 60s, when clips like this were popular. By then anything Sterling was usually marked.

Houseful and Michelle Collins like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They are translucent, but not transparent.

Michelle Collins likes this.
  7. Michelle Collins

Yes

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

These look like costume clip earrings set with glass. If they were silver they would be marked as such and there wouldn’t be marked with patent info on the clip. In my area they would sell for about $5.00 or so.

Houseful likes this.
  9. Michelle Collins

I figured as much about the silver, my main question is what kind of glass is it? Is there something specific to look for to determine if it is milk glass?

10. Michelle Collins

2019-05-29-00-16-19-853.jpg

11. Marie Forjan

Milk glass is simply white glass, so yes, I would call it milk glass.

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I realize everything changes and what's true in one field isn't necessarily true in jewelry, but I was taught that milk glass always has that filmy-sparkly translucent bit. I don't know how to describe it, but wikipedia does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_glass

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Jivvy,
    The story of milk glass brings back so many bad thoughts about the SOB on eBay that has sent so many of us to this safe spot. I have to leave before the memory starts me swearing again.
    greg

14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm with Marie on this. As far as jewelry is concerned, most of the white glass jewelry on Ebay is called "milk glass" -- maybe to make it sound a bit more desirable. In general milk glass isn't something that jewelry people ponder too much. Maybe more of a classification in things like plates, glassware.

Michelle Collins and Jivvy like this.
  15. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't remember that #$%*! on this particular topic, but I'm ready to pound my keyboard at the mere mention. :banghead:

OTOH, I like this place better than I ever liked ebay, so there's that.:cat:

16. Marie Forjan

Yes, in the world of glass there is milk glass and there is milk glass. But as Lucille said, in costume jewelry things are less involved :)

Michelle Collins and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted