Are these Porcelain Christmas Ornaments Vintage?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Oct 16, 2015.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have 3 porcelain Santa face ornaments 2 1/2" long and have stickers that say Japan. Does the sticker mean they're vintage? If so, about how old are they? I was going to sell them, but I'm liking them more and more so they'll probably stay here and go on my tree. TY!

DSCF3904.jpg

DSCF3905.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, they look 60s to 70s. Thy're not antique by any stretch. The original incarnation of Pier 1, before they got boring, sold things like this.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They're really cute and would be great on any tree !

What exactly do you mean by vintage ?;)

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

evelyb30 - thanks for the info. 60s-70s sounds good. I'm not really clear on when Made in Japan was replaced by Made in China.

komokwa - by vintage I mean "before Made in China".

I have some other Santas on my tree and these would look festive with them. My husband and I are looking forward to when we don't have to do a big tree any more so small ornies are appealing.

SKCCOAST likes this.
  5. evelyb30

The Chinese stuff started in the 80s, but really took off in the 90s. A lot of porcelain items are still made in Japan, but the heydey for the junque was back in the 60s. If these were late 70s they'd probably be Taiwanese. That's not precise; it's what I remember from being a kid in the 70s.

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

It's not a hard and fast rule, but those blue JAPAN stickers are often 1950s/'60s.

pearlsnblume and dgbjwc like this.
  7. evelyb30

That jibes with what I remember of those stickers too. They show up after Occupied Japan and before Made in Taiwan.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

They look like ceramic to me BWDIK, and the vibe I get is from the late 1960's

Cute!

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Porcelain is ceramic.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I was hoping for '60s, that's my fave decade! I bought a huge lot of really nice contemporary ornaments recently and these were in one of the plastic tubs. I'm keeping these. There were several gorgeous hand painted larger glass ornaments that I'm giving as gifts and then, maybe 75 -100 shatterproofs that I might make a wreath from. The rest will be sold.

Messilane likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I can't get into google right now, but if I could I would look at Napco as the manufacturer

Draft saved Draft deleted