Are these silver very ancient coins fake or real ? How much would they cost?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by turmuka, Aug 10, 2019.

1. turmuka

turmuka New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Olsun [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Look at the edges for mold marks. Probably modern cast copies.

Any Jewelry, Joe2007 and afantiques like this.
  3. turmuka

turmuka New Member

What else factors would be helpful on determining the reality of this? How many grams would a real version of this be ? How can I know by scaling ? Also this is supposed to be silver. I am not sure if its fake or not

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How many coins do you have? Are these 4 different pieces with one blank side on each or the obverses & reverses of 2 coins? If only 2 coins, which pix go together.

Coins with Alexander the Great with the horns of Ammon on the obverse & Zeus seated with his eagle in his outstretched hand on the reverse are plentiful, both genuine & reproduction. See:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/coins/ancient/greek_coins/macedonian_kings-1220.aspx

The other coin was produced at Ephesos:

http://www.getty.edu/art/collection...hm-of-ephesos-east-greek-ephesian-390-380-bc/

Fakes are widespread in the numismatic world & you may get better help on a coin-specific site. @daveydempsey ?

5. Bronwen

6. Bronwen

upload_2019-8-10_19-2-55.png Magistrate's name: Dineas

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like these were polished...

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. turmuka

turmuka New Member

I have 2 coins, those are the different sides of each. I have more but I have only posted these two. Thanks for nice links They might be legit pieces as well. What is your thoughts ?

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. turmuka

turmuka New Member

Updated pictures

11. turmuka

turmuka New Member

You mean forged?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no...polished..
    lots o' folks think that polishing old coins make them look better...more real or valuable..
    and if they are fakes....they polish them even more ..

13. Bronwen

The condition of the surface of a coin provides information to the expert eye, so whether or not to clean/polish ancient coins is a debated topic. Signs of age & wear can also be faked, so condition alone is not sufficient evidence of age & history.

Do you have any provenance, any history of the ownership of your coins? The coin forum members will want as much information as you can give.

14. turmuka

turmuka New Member

I am from Turkey. The guy who gave me this I am very sure he doesnt have skills to forge something like this. He said he found it, I dont know where and how but I can ask him in detail. He doesnt speak english so he gave me this in case i am able to sell it in Eu. I have huge network of people like this here, so I have access to a lot of coins. I will post more stuff here, since I get help. And I dont have much knowledge

15. turmuka

turmuka New Member

I will get more info and brighten us all. I am pretty sure he’ll say its found during digging in Bodrum or something. I dont think Id need any more info as well. Just expert eyes now

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

Be very, very careful if you are being asked to sell for others & to accept what they tell you about age & origin of coins. The Balkans have made an industry of coin & engraved gem forgery.

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I second the recommendation to post these on CoinTalk. Very knowledgeable people there who will have definite answers. Personally I think that these are fake. The patina is incorrect for coins of this age and these are heavily faked in huge quantities and often sold in markets as tourist items. If they were real they would be silver but many of the counterfeits use more inexpensive metals.

18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Lots of sellers on eBay from Eastern Europe that sell reproductions as the real deal. Buyers need to be wary of anything that looks too good to be true and eBay is a minefield for ancients. Personally I have a few ancient coins but I've tried to purchase them only from reputable sources.

19. daveydempsey

I've passed through Bodrum several times, the markets and shops were full of fake merchandise.

Sunglasses, watches, handbags, jewellry, T-Shirts, Coins, lighters, belt buckles etc etc.
    In fact one shop was called The Genuine Fake shop

It was the same all along the coast Antalaya, Alanya, Oludeniz. Fethiya
    I stayed in Turgutreis which was beautiful but the only thing that was not fake was the food, the weather and the friendliness.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=T...TxUIHbHtCrYQ_AUIEigC&biw=1067&bih=687#imgrc=_

20. daveydempsey

Genuine fake coins for sale, Istanbul.

0678_Fake_old_coins_w750.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted