Are These Used In A Game?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by TraceyB, Oct 22, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I came across these items in my late father's belongings. I'm not sure if the dice go with the leather cups but they were all together. Approx 6 inches high and stamped Made in England on the base. Are the dice bone? Collectable at all?
    Many thanks.
    Tracey 20201022_171942.jpg 20201022_172017.jpg 20201022_172017.jpg 20201022_172040.jpg 20201022_172302.jpg

Sandra and kyratango like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Pub dice. Shake 5 dice in the leather cup to determine who buys the next round. Think the dice are not bone, some sort of plastic perhaps.

Sandra, NewEngland, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. Houseful

4. TraceyB

Are they still used today?

5. Houseful

Yes. Think yours are nice, people do collect pub stuff, cribbage boards etc.

Sandra and kyratango like this.
  6. TraceyB

Wow!!! I never realised. Do you think mine may have some age to them? Shouting drinks in Aussie pubs isn't quite so civilised

Rec, Sandra and kyratango like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Many, many moons ago, in my fading youth, I played my fair share of bar games with a leather cup & dice. . .please believe me it is rarely civilized! You don't just roll the dice quietly on the bar, you slam the cup, you yell & curse, you spill drinks, etc. until you are drunk as a skunk. :hungover::hungover::hungover:

Here are just a few 'bar games' that can be played: https://pubcrawltonight.com/fun-dice-drinking-games/

Judging from the dice I'd say yours might have some age but would expect more wear on the cup lip if it was used very long or hard. The matching dice with name Dewar might make this set more desirable. My guess would be mid-1900s. The unevenness of the stitching on the bottom suggests hand-sewn.

komokwa, Rec, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  8. TraceyB

Oh, how I would love to have witnessed that!! Do you think they would have played those games in officers messes?

bercrystal likes this.
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I don't know if officers would be allowed to be as crass as local "bar flies".

Dice bar games never played in "upper crust" establishments.

bercrystal likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've got a shove ha'penny game. :)
    My English grandfather taught my siblings and I how to play on a board he'd made himself in the early 1970s. Unfortunately, no one in the family knows what happened to it. It took me a while but I finally found one online. We often take it out during holiday celebrations for some nostalgic fun.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Draft saved Draft deleted