Featured Are these valences? Antimacassars? Chair arm covers?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Pat P, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

(Ugh, that should have been "valances"! Can't edit titles, apparently.)

These two pieces were sent by my great aunt to my mother in the 40s or 50s and I don't think they were new at the time.

She was born in 1877 and I think they were made by her, but it's possible they were made by her mother or another relative. She was a CA native and her mother was born and lived in Canada, in case somehow that's relevant.

Based on the style and construction, is late 1800s-early 1900s the most likely date of creation? Or is the 30s or 40s just as plausible?

They're small (not in front of me at the moment, but I think no more than 10" wide), and I'm not sure what their purpose was? Maybe draped over arms with the tassels hanging down on the outside?

Are they tatting ("tatted"?) lace crochet?

I'm assuming the thread is cotton or linen. How can I tell? If I decide to sell them, should I wash them first?

Thanks for any info and advice!

upload_2015-6-2_18-29-59.jpeg

upload_2015-6-2_18-30-14.jpeg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I can't help, but thanks so much for the memories. :shame:

I can't begin to count how many times as a young child I arranged and re-arranged and felt and examined similar items on the arms of the chairs and the "davenport" (as it as called back then although it did not convert into a bed) in the "parlor" of my grandmother's house. (I had only one grandmother living when I was born, and she was born in 1882).

Figtree3, Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

You're very welcome, Yourturn! :)

Here's another piece from my great aunt. I think I have several of these and assume they were used as doilies. Don't know if it's unusual that they're asymetrical.

upload_2015-6-2_19-29-56.jpeg

4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

All of your examples are Crocheted and not Tatted

5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

And my money is on them being Cotton

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Desperate! I've done crochet, but never with these tiny stitches, so wasn't sure. I can't imagine how many hours it must have taken to create these pieces.

Is there a way to distinguish between cotton and linen?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like them. my Grandma had many and I always pick them up but not seen these before.

Pat P likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cotton is softer....linen is stiffer.
    Pick em up and make them into a ball in your fist......they spread them out and flatten them .....if they're cotton they'll return ....more or less to their original shape.......if they're linen....you'll run to get an iron......and curse me asa you try to get the creases out !!! :mad::mad:

WARNING....do not try this with under aged children nearby..!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL! :hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

My grandmother made hundreds of such things. There were antimacassars, chair arm covers, tray cloths, dressing table covers, doilies (of every size), centerpieces, lamp saucers (so to speak), and even doughnut shaped gizmos to use as shade pulls. Those latter were dipped in wax to stiffen them.

Incidentally, should one feel creative about such things, they can be set against a pale blue or rose mat and framed in something white and shabby chic. Or, one can make collages using all kinds of other items: old wall paper, dried flowers, cut up greeting cards...

And, conversely they can be put against black with a silver or gold frame. That first one would be most dramatic so.

I'll subside now. :)

Figtree3, Bakersgma, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  11. KingofThings

I've noticed that all children seem to be underage....:woot::eek::rolleyes:

buyjunksellantiques likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Silver, thanks... great ideas... maybe I'll frame the two with tassels. I think I would have liked your grandmother's house. :)

I was thinking this morning about my great aunt's age, and how hard it might have been to do work this fine at whatever point her eyesight wasn't as good and her fingers not as nimble. So I'd think there's a good chance she didn't make these any later than the mid or late 1920s.

13. KingofThings

I agree that they would be great framed and honor her by doing so. You will think of here every time you look at them. :) They will be great conversation starters too.
    For all I have seen these are unique to me. :)

yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Pat - my mother, when in her eighties and unable to read even "large print," made full-sized quilts. ??!! Tiny, even, utterly neat stitches.

I have no idea how, but my brother saw her making them.

15. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Years of practice...! ;)

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

King, you are so right... seeing these things on my wall would give me a nice warm feeling. My mother was close to her aunt, but we were in NY and her aunt was in CA so I never met her. I wish I had.

Silver, that's amazing. Do you have any of her quilts?

Messi, thanks so much. I think I even have a book on filet crochet, but forgot totally about it.

With the tassel pieces, I'm wondering if they were meant to be the ends of a table or dresser runner, with additional pieces in the center? I'm thinking that could explain why the top is the same kind of open work as the bottom.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

Thanks! :)
    I have so many great things without any real room to display them. :(

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had hundreds of my Grams and her sisters and sister in laws. I gave them away on the old textile board on ebay. If I didn't I know they would be tossed into the dumpster. I still have a white sheet with a "Gibson Girl" head candlewicked on the edge. Debating about what to do with it. I did sell 30 1950 unused linen tea towels, my Gram bought to tat edgings on but never got to. I am still using dish towels printed with calendars from the mid 60s. They have been bleached so many times they are starting to fade and develope pinholes. I have a dozen Irish linen glass towels unused bought on my first trip to Ireland in 1958, too good to use. I sound just like my grandparents.
    greg

20. KingofThings

:eek::rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted