Are These Vintage Earrings Zuni or Navajo?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Robert Craft, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Robert Craft

Robert Craft New Member

20200710_225328.jpg 20200710_225228.jpg Screenshot_20200710-225303_eBay.jpg 20200710_225405.jpg I picked these up on auction, and the seller claimed they're Zuni. But I'm having second thoughts. They aren't signed. Can anyone enlighted me?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2021
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Robert.
    They are really lovely Zuni style needlepoint earrings, and they look genuine Zuni made to me. They have some age, 1960s, maybe a bit older.
    @reader what do you think?
    One of them has lost the twisted wire around the central stone, not a major problem, imo.

People will probably tell you that you aren't allowed to sell them as Zuni/Native American without a tribal affiliated maker's mark, so I said it now to get it over and done with.;) Imo these date from before the time when all makers marked their jewellery.

[​IMG]

Robert Craft, komokwa and reader like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The way the maker did not use all light blue turquoise nor bother to arrange different shades in any kind of order on the dangles says older pieces to me too. The stones in the upper parts have been set as mirror images. Otherwise they seem less influenced by the preferences of tourists than newer work. Nice!

Robert Craft, komokwa, reader and 2 others like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No question in my mind that they’re vintage Zuni needlepoint for all the reasons you posted AJ. I think they’re lovely and agree that they can’t be sold as Zuni but everyone will find them if they’re being sold on the internet as Vintage Southwestern Turquoise Needlepoint Drop Earrings. I’d wear them happily.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So would I.

6. Robert Craft

Robert Craft New Member

Wow, thank you for the great info! My doubt have been resolved.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just to jump on the bandwagon, the good older stuff was almost never signed. That's another point in favor of them being vintage.

8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO having collected Indian jewelry all my life and living in the SW there is no question that they are vintage Zuni. The mixed stones scream Zuni. The Pueblo Indians were struggling more than today (and they’re still struggling today) and they used whatever turquoise they could get their hands on. None was wasted so much was unmatched.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Robert Craft, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted