Are they Bakelite? Cherry red beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Here I have some cherry red beads and Id like to find out if they are Bakelite or some other early plastic .I don't currently have any simichrome to test with but hopefully there are some experts about. The largest of the beads is 35mm x 20mm.

IMG_20180318_165649.jpg IMG_20180318_165638.jpg IMG_20180318_165631.jpg IMG_20180318_165658.jpg IMG_20180318_165614.jpg IMG_20180318_165519.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Run them under hot water. If Bakelite they will smell to high heaven. I do not think so since Bakelite is opaque. Do they clunk instead of clink?
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You can use Maas instead of simichrome.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I use a damp q-tip and baking soda. It works. Rub and sniff at the same time if possible. If bakelite you'll smell the formaldehyde. I got my first "positive" for tobacco the other night - the piece looked like bakelite, but was just tobacco-stained lucite. I have a feeling these are acrylic; the hole edges look molded rather than drilled.

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

1/3 cup salt completely dissolve in 2/3 cup water, drop one in, if it sinks you can rule out amber.

6. Ratsy Brown

I tried the hot water and baking soda test and got nothing :-(
    I'm certain they are man made, so not Amber. Probably they are just acrylic. I had bought them in a bag with agate and ivory beads so had hoped these were Bakelite

Thanks guys

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the edges of the bead holes are rounded, they're acrylic or lucite. Rounded means molded. I'd restring them, probably on a cording I could knot.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Ratsy Brown

Tested with Maas metal polish. Red/brown colouring

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted